Home Open Account Help 259 users online

International Railroad Discussion > The bus that meets the trains

Date: 07/31/05 21:56
The bus that meets the trains
Author: africansteam

I was looking for some more South African Steam pix to post when I ran across these two prints. South African Transport Services operated bus services in areas not accessible by train. The equipment was certainly different from what I was used to in the states. I am posting these pix for the “Bus Boys” in the audience. I will leave it to the serious bus/road transport fans to identify the make and model. Both photos were taken in the Port Elizabeth area

Africansteam

Date: 07/31/05 21:57
Re: The bus that meets the trains

No.2

Africansteam

Date: 08/01/05 18:42
Author: timecruncher

Mixed train, er-bus, er, what is it really??

I'm one of the bus people lurking on the forum, and I have no idea what that beastly duo is. Looks like some kind of kitbashed body-on-chassis monstrosoty. Probably top-line stuff in that part of the rock.

timecruncher

Date: 08/01/05 20:43
Author: airbrakegeezer

"...no idea what the beastly duo is..."

Well, I would think the first one is pretty obvious: it's an updated, rubber-tired South African copy of an RGS Galloping Goose! Right?

Seriously, IIRC, South African Railways' buses of the period were built on Leyland (British or South African)chassis, with bodies by a well-established local bus body builder -- whose name, of course, I have forgotten ... sigh - it was only 23 years ago I was there, how could I forget?!

Date: 08/02/05 07:51

timecruncher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mixed train, er-bus, er, what is it really??
>
> I'm one of the bus people lurking on the forum,
> and I have no idea what that beastly duo is.
> Looks like some kind of kitbashed body-on-chassis
> monstrosoty. Probably top-line stuff in that part
> of the rock.

I think the cargo section was used for parcels shipment and extra baggage.

Africansteam

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0483 seconds