Home Open Account Help 127 users online

Railfan Technology > B&H Photo

Date: 12/06/05 14:25
B&H Photo
Author: dsktc

For those not familiar with
B&H:

"NEW YORK -- Every morning except Saturday, the buses stop at a bustling corner of Manhattan, and bearded men in dark suits and felt hats, some clutching prayer books and speaking Yiddish, step onto the sidewalk and disappear into a brick building.

"But this is not a yeshiva or synagogue.

"This is B&H Photo-Video, one of the biggest and most famous camera stores in the world."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05340/616255.stm

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?

It is my primary source for camera gear, and very reliable.

Dave

Date: 12/06/05 17:20
Re: B&H Photo
Author: ChS7-321

Yep, I love that store.....it's like a Toys 'R US for photo fanatics (and it's the size of one too).

Caution: since the Hasids are VERY observant, the store closes early on Friday, is closed on Saturday (because of Shabbat), but is open the whole day Sunday. Also closed on various Jewish holidays.

P.S. Is there a model railway store like that SOMEWHERE in the world?? Hmm....

Date: 12/07/05 04:54
Author: Gateway97

Always have had great service from B & H !

Date: 12/07/05 06:27
Author: K3HX

Been doing business with B&H Photo since 1974.

Honest merchants in a very tough business.

Tim Colbert K3HX

Date: 12/07/05 10:11
Author: fbe

Yes, B&H is very good. And they usually have the best shipping rates when you order. They are still New Yorkers and if you live out west and have never dealt with New Yorkers you are in for a shock. Stick with what you want and realize they are going to be a little short at times. Still, they will not lead you astray. You can avoid all that and just order from their website if you know what you want.

The closest model railroad store is Caboose Hobbies in Denver. They have the same size store and selection but not as steep discounts.

Date: 12/07/05 20:54
Author: Alco251

I'm a big B&H fan and longtime mailorder customer. So that's why a visit to their superstore was one of the highlights of my NYC visit a couple months ago...well worth the effort to get there.

Just don't be there on Friday afternoon at 2pm for the ritual known as "rush-a-homa."

Date: 12/08/05 11:28
Author: CNW8531

Nothing against B&H, but Adorama is just as good and just as honest! I've done mail order with them for over 15 years and have no complaints whatever. They even called me once and corrected an order I had placed with them because the salesman knew I ordered the wrong filters for my camera by mistake. Rather than just packing up the order and sending it out to me like most would have done, he called me first before shipping the order and asked why I ordered filters that were not compatible with the lenses I had. He was right, I had mistakenly ordered the wrong filters and we got it all corrected over the phone before the order ever shipped. That's pretty damn good service and I've never forgotten it! Nothing against B&H, but I'm gonna stick with Adorama!

Date: 12/08/05 12:25
Author: PullmanPorter

Adorama's a good company but they could never seem to get my film orders right. Once I ordered 120 film and they sent me 35mm, and the last time I used them I ordered 10 rolls of Provia 100 for a trip and they sent me Velvia 50, one of the few films I really don't like. Since there wasn't time to exchange the Velvia before my trip, I had to buy the Provia locally at a much higher price. I'll stick with B&H.

CNW8531 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nothing against B&H, but Adorama is just as
> good and just as honest!

Date: 12/08/05 17:27
Author: CNW8531

I've ordered film from Adorama for about 15 years now as well, not once have they ever messed up an order. I usually get 40 to 60 rolls per year. Not a bad track record for that much film each year for 15 years and not a mistake yet!

Date: 12/09/05 08:11
Author: RayH

I am a long time B&H customer and tried Adorama. I had a similar experience with Adorama. They sent the wrong film, K200 instead of K25.

THAT experience keeps me going back to B&H. B&H has a very good web order operation, and of course I enjoy going to the store if I'm on the East Coast. (Toys R Us indeed!)
PullmanPorter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Adorama's a good company but they could never seem
> to get my film orders right. Once I ordered 120
> film and they sent me 35mm, and the last time I
> used them I ordered 10 rolls of Provia 100 for a
> trip and they sent me Velvia 50, one of the few
> films I really don't like. Since there wasn't time
> to exchange the Velvia before my trip, I had to
> buy the Provia locally at a much higher price.
> I'll stick with B&H.
>

Date: 12/09/05 12:28
Re: B&H Photo over the other guys
Author: fbe

I ordered once from Adorama and got an off brand product when I thought I was getting a branded accessory. I've have also found their shipping charges to be excessive compared to B&H. I will try to buy locally first but B&H gets the first call if I order out of state. Their online ordering system is also first class.

Date: 12/12/05 16:04
Visit to B&H Photo
Author: prr4828

I've ordered a couple of video items from them this year. I'm happy with their service. I haven't seen many companies beat their prices.

Enroute to the NAB Post+Production trade show at Javits Convention Center last month, I walked right by B&H photo.

On my way back to Penn Station, I stopped in. What an experience! The store is of moderate size, but well stocked! Just about every discipline (genre?) of still and video is represented there. I'd say the store was packed with customers. Employees were numerous, several offering to answer questions during my stay.

I think my favorite feature was the conveyor system. There were overhead (and in-the-cabinet) conveyors that urged baskets onward. A smaller hanging basket system was set up for the film department.

Happy shopping.

* JB *

Date: 12/13/05 12:27
Re: Visit to B&H Photo
Author: CimaScrambler

Re: B&H Photo - Just don't pause in placing an order on their 1-800 toll free ordering phone line to ask a product related question. I made that mistake a couple of times, was told to call back on the other line with questions, and then got hung up on. They are quite particular about that, even if you have already given them for an order totaling up to nearly a thousand bucks.

- Kit

Date: 12/13/05 13:09
Re: Visit to B&H Photo
Author: norm1153

I gotta put in my vote for B&H also. I've been a customer since 2001 or so, and my orders for digicams and camcorders have always been handled quickly and honestly.

All my orders except for one were over the internet. The one phone order was placed on a Sunday. The salesman pushed me a little about filters, which doesn't surprise me and is reasonable. I declined his recommendations. The order still shipped out Monday.

No complaints from me!

Date: 12/13/05 19:30
One more vote for B&H
Author: RustyRayls

I've done business with "Beards & Hats" for years now. Never had a problem. I have been amazed with how fast my order makes it from NYC to Las Vegas even without paying for premium shipping.

Date: 12/31/05 11:37
Author: mully

I haves used them several times. In fact just ordered a 28-200 lens. Very good place to work with. Would have liked to have gotten my D200 there, but it was back ordered

Gary

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0974 seconds