Home Open Account Help 241 users online

Railfan Technology > Good RR portable scanner with top sensitivity

Date: 04/01/06 13:27
Good RR portable scanner with top sensitivity
Author: Roundhouse

Recently read about a portable scanner that had great reception range, scanned all the RR channels, and now I can't remember the brand or model number. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Joe F.

Date: 04/01/06 15:49
Re: Good RR portable scanner with top sensitivity
Author: bnsfjth

Not sure what you were reading, but chances are they were talking about the Vertex VX-150.

-Justin

Date: 04/01/06 17:29
Author: PowellWye

See thread below - Question for Ham/radio heads
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?9,1127120,nodelay=1

Date: 04/02/06 16:17
Author: Bryan_

The VX-150 is $10 through the end of June. $109 at Gigaparts. http://www.gigaparts.com

If you're just interested in scanning the VHF railroad channels this is a great radio. I bought one as a second ham handie talkie. It works well and is relatively rugged.

If you're interested in scanning in general you might want to look at something else, but for just railroad it's a deal.

This is a ham radio so you should consider getting a license to get the full benefit from this radio. Also handy to have that license as a federal preemption in case you visit a place such as Florida where scanners are otherwise pretty much illegal.

Date: 04/03/06 14:19
Author: graybeard1942

Check out the Radio Shack PRO-97 if you don't need transmit capability. This is probably the best handheld scanner RS has ever marketed. Very low battery drain, nice display, and incredible sensitivity (ability to receive). On sale it goes for $150. Also doesn't mind being dropped!

Date: 04/03/06 15:12
Author: Roundhouse

Thanks to everyone for your input. I ordered the VX-170 from HRO which should solve all problems. All your advice helped greatly & got me on the right 'track'.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0599 seconds