Home Open Account Help 337 users online

Railfan Technology > Scanning large format negatives

Date: 04/22/06 19:03
Scanning large format negatives
Author: tomd

Any suggestions for scanning large format negatives.

My scanner will scan negatives, but on 35mm ones. I have some 3x5 inch negatives that I want to scan. My only solution is to have them printed?

Any suggestions

Thanks

Tom

Date: 04/22/06 20:30
Re: Scanning large format negatives
Author: Frisco1522

There are good flatbed scanners available. I've had a Microtek Scanmaker 4 for several years now and it's good enough that I sold all of my darkroom equipment not long after I bought it.
It will scan negatives or transparencies up to 8 x 10 and prints up to legal size. Coupled with Photoshop, it makes a dandy darkroom.
Most of the negs in my collection are larger format, 120,116,4x5 and Postcard. It does an excellent job and will scan them up to 2000dpi, which in a larger format neg is pretty good.

Date: 04/23/06 18:29
Author: CNW6500

Epson is also a excellant choice. I have this scanner http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=45471984 and can scan up to but not 616 (3x5)negatives with the stock carrier. I built a carrier for 616 negatives. The 4870 will do up to 6x9 negatives and has digital ICE but is more expensive. http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=49679245

The attached is a 2x3.5 negative scanned using the 3170.

tomd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any suggestions for scanning large format
> negatives.
>
> My scanner will scan negatives, but on 35mm ones.
> I have some 3x5 inch negatives that I want to
> scan. My only solution is to have them printed?
>
> Any suggestions
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom

Date: 04/23/06 20:18
Author: ATSF100WEST

You can't go wrong with the Epson 4870; worth every penny and then some!

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Date: 04/29/06 09:45
Author: NormSchultze

Depending on how many large negs/slides you have, it may be cheaper or less hassle to have them scanned for you. www.digmypics.com. I sent them some really nasty faded E-2 slides, and the restoration of color and such was outstanding.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0335 seconds