Home Open Account Help 223 users online

Railfan Technology > Media sharing software

Date: 04/06/07 17:03
Media sharing software
Author: ftwayne_railfan

I was wondering if anybody here who is in the business of running their own websites has ever used media sharing software on their site, much like what TO offers to members. I'd like to add said features to my own site so that members can upload their own video clips into a library to share with others. It'd be really nice if it had the capability to tie into the PHPbb forum software I use as well, but beggers can't be choosers I suppose. If anyone has any free software out there that I ought to try, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance,

Date: 04/06/07 18:20
Re: Media sharing software
Author: Anonymous User

I use Gallery 2.2, which has the option of uploading video. I have not tried it yet, but if it works like photos, it is pretty slick. Also supposed to be able to tie into phpbb.

http://gallery.menalto.com/

Date: 04/07/07 22:44
Re: Media sharing software
Author: webmaster

Media processing on the web is not trivial. I have over $25K invested in the media stuff now and on the back end it runs like a hack using different server applications that include ffmpeg and mplayer to do the thumbnails and flash video conversions on the cameras. Plus, the cost of bandwidth adds up. On Trainorders.com we are pushing 50+ gigabytes a day of data transfer. We are talking 1.5-2 terrabytes a month!

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0303 seconds