Home Open Account Help 365 users online

Railfan Technology > Shooting in the Rain

Date: 07/23/07 21:40
Shooting in the Rain
Author: AndyD

I'm looking at a possible relocation to the Pacific Northwest, and given the area's wet reputation, was curious for those in the know - how do you keep the camera from getting soaked while out shooting? Tips or tricks? Special gear? Hiding in the car with an open window?

Date: 07/23/07 23:08
Re: Shooting in the Rain
Author: DWHonan

Simple: I drive east over the mountains and shoot where it's sunny.

Or was that not the answer you're looking for? :)

-Dave
Issaquah, WA

Date: 07/23/07 23:10
Author: stivmac

Move to LA and use a REALLY long lens? Scuba Gear? Seriously, I've used a baggie over the camera and it hasn't seemed to bother it. We were in Ireland last summer and so we spent some time shooting in the rain. I just kept the camera covered under a jacket and whipped it out as needed. No problems with shots or camera (both digital and real). If you're concerned, Sport Chalet sells water proof cases for scuba diving but I think that's a bit of over kill. If its raining REALLY bad (and actually, it doesn't pour hard that much up there, its more like Ireland's "soft" days), shoot from the car or stay home and watch videos.

Date: 07/24/07 04:58
Author: RDG630

I use a clear plastic bag over the camera with a hole cut out for the lens opening - works fine.

Date: 07/24/07 10:23
Author: grahamline

Umbrellas, plastic bags, stand under an overhanging roof, shoot from the back of the wagon. I keep a cotton towel around to blot things off if they get damp. Most of the time around here (Portland), the rain isn't that intense. More of a soaking mist if you're out in it for very long. And it's really only a month or two in the winter and spring. Summer and autumn are pretty dry.

Date: 07/24/07 12:20
Author: SteveEshom

I use a most hi-tech solution...a plastic sack with a big red S on it (Safeway grocery stores). So far that is all I've needed. As grahamline stated it doesn't generally rain hard here. If it does it is usually associated with a spring shower that doesn't last all that long. You'll struggle more with gray overcast skies than actual rain drops on your equipment.

Date: 07/25/07 21:14
Author: Indecline

Umbrella is my standard solution. If it is too windy to manage an umbrella, I wouldn't be able to keep my lens dry anyway.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0355 seconds