Home Open Account Help 327 users online

Railfan Technology > A computer question, for the smart guys on the list

Date: 01/10/09 09:30
A computer question, for the smart guys on the list
Author: SandPatch1

I have a choice to buy a new computer one has a AMD 5000 X2, the other a AMD 4050e X2,
their is a good spread in price SO !!

is the speed difference, 2600 vs 2100, worth extra bucks , Would I see a difference in the time it takes to read trainorders?

thank you to all those who help us understand the lifeline of train info.

dave jakubiec

Date: 01/10/09 10:13
Re: A computer question, for the smart guys on the list
Author: Wizard

A brand name computer you're purchasing or a custom built unit ?

Date: 01/10/09 10:24
Author: clem

A couple of general observations:

1. The higher cost of a faster CPU is proportionally higher than its benefit.

2. Browsing speed is almost always limited by network speed, not CPU speed. The limiting network speed, in turn, is usually the speed provided by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). The ISP is usually your phone or cable company. ISPs usually offer a range of speeds and prices.

Date: 01/10/09 11:16
Author: TheOssman

Indeed, for reading websites any sort of dual-core processors as you mention should be more than enough. Given a reasonable amount of RAM (2+ GB for windows vista), either of those should be fine for internet browsing. As noted, the bigger internet limitation is the Internet Service Providers. Most even budget computers now will outrun any connection at this point in time. Unless you have Verizon Fios (or an equivalent) or are hooked up to some sort of University T2 ridiculous high-speed network, save the money and go with the lower processor. Now, depending on what other purposes you would use it for, it might make a difference.

Date: 01/10/09 12:08
Author: SandPatch1

thanks for the help,
the computer is from a box store. dont have many build your own stores here, and when I priced the stuff this is cheaper> both are the same, have a pcie slot for a future vid card, sound is sound. Ihave a 900m win 95 now that plays my train sim and R/C flight sim very good so I am sure the ones out now will be better. I still shoot film so I only use a external HD for photo storage of what I have scanned in from my slide collection. I hope that somebody comes out with a good slide scanner for under a federal bailout loan amount.
I thank you for your help
dave Jakubiec

Date: 01/10/09 12:27
Author: wa4umr

Tough question. Usually the more expensive box is the better one but there is a limit and that limit is usually how may $$$ you want to spend.

You can by box “A” for maybe $1000 or box “B” for $1200 but what do you get for the difference? You get the slightly faster processor that you want. You also go from 250GB hard drive to a 300GB drive, 1GB RAM to 2GB, from a 15” LCD to a 17” monitor, software package with a slight upgrade, etc… Add up all of the upgrades and they may cost you $400 but they become a bargain when packaged together. The question becomes, “How much of a bargain can you afford?”

The slowest thing on the market will handle web browsing about the same as the top end box. The pipeline between you and the ISP is the limiting factor. Things tend to slow down after you’ve had the computer for awhile when all of the background programs start eating up the processor and memory resources.

When I buy new a new machine I generally shop around for what the current prices are (Best Buys, Staples, Circus City,) do a bit of research, set a target price, watch the adds in the Sunday paper.

Changing subjects slightly, you’ll hear people say not to buy XYZ brand because they are awful. There’s always someone that has a lemon and those are the people that tend to be heard. Several people have had problems with E-Machines several years ago but I had one that never gave me a minute of trouble. Just do a bit of research again to sort through what problems people are really having and if they are being resolved. Remember, some people wouldn’t be happy if you let them have a hand picked gold brick from the vault at Fort Knox.

The real bottom line is to decide what you are going to use the machine for, if you need any expansion slots, and how much you want to spend. Not much of an answer, is it?

John

PS. I aint one of the smart guys on the list.

Date: 01/10/09 12:28
Author: NDHolmes

Either one should be fine for web browsing and such.

Considering that a new 5000 X2 is only $57 at the moment, it's not a bank breaker to upgrade in the future if you feel like it. Depending on the motherboard, you might be able to go to something much faster in the future, like a 6000 X2. The only gotcha is power consumption - the 4050e is a low power dual core unit (45W max), meaning it'll run cooler and save you on utility bills, but by the same token the shop may not put in a motherboard capable of powering a more energy-hungry processor.

Date: 01/10/09 13:40
Author: nick_gully

Unless you are playing some of the newest video games or running heavy number crunching software (giant excel spreadsheets, Mathematica, Matlab, etc..), you don't need the latest and greatest high end processor. The prudent and smart thing to buy is the processor that has been out for six months, there is a significant cost savings there.

Date: 01/10/09 23:00
Author: Darryl

I find those box stores to be pretty overpriced and would suggest trying the Dell online "outlet" store (you can also get them on the phone).

They sell a LOT of cancelled orders, returned, refurbished and scratch/dent stuff there with full warranty at 20-40% or so off what you'd pay new.

I recently bought a 'scratch and dent' quad core duo whatzit thingy with 6gb or ram and 750gb hard drive for ~650 all up incl free shipping. Steal of the century. It was called scratch and dent - there is a tiiiiiiiny scratch on the front that you wouldn't notice unless I mentioned it.

This is the second machine I've bought from the Dell outlet in 7 years and have been very happy with both of them.

Apple also have an outlet on their web store and I'm sure other mfrs do as well.

If you are doing serious photoshopping or playing the latest games you'll want a beefy machine, but if you're reading trainorders and writing letters on a word processor, any computer from the last few years will do fine - it doesn't have to be fancy and you won't notice much difference in speed. If you're not a computer nerd, you might want to get one with Windows XP Home rather than Vista which needs more grunt just to run itself and... everybody seems to hate it anyway...

Cheers,

Date: 01/11/09 14:56
Author: David.Curlee

I have both an AMD 5600+ X2 and an AMD 4850e X2 in two separate computers.

The 4850e processor is unbelievably good. There is a 5050e out which runs at 2.6 GHz like the 5000 does. At stores like Newegg.com the price between the old and new (45-watt) processors is virtually the same, only $10-15 between the two.

Date: 01/19/09 07:21
Author: RFandPFan

Circuit City is closing all their stores and are having a liquidation sale. I picked up a nice HP tower for around 500 bucks.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0765 seconds