Home Open Account Help 191 users online

Railfan Technology > Opinions of Nikon D60 needed

Date: 05/30/09 14:57
Opinions of Nikon D60 needed
Author: theirishlion

I currently own an Olympus E-520 SLR. I am interested in purchasing a Nikon D60, can anyone give me any pros or cons
versus what I have already. My main reason for looking at the Nikon is lens availability vs Olympus.

Michael Gmoser
Saint Louis, MO

Date: 05/30/09 15:43
Re: Opinions of Nikon D60 needed
Author: LVFoamer

Why not get a Canon Rebel XSI or XTI? There is a ton of lens options for the Canon DSLR's and alot of room to grow. Just my two cents...

Date: 05/30/09 17:10
Author: fbe

There is generally nothing wrong with Olympus glass. It can be expensive and very little 3rd party lenses are made. If you can afford to hang onto the Oly it will make a nice back up camera.

The D60 is a great little camera. This is a 10 mpix upgrade of the 6 mpix D40. While it lacks a few of the bells and whistles of the contemporary D80 and D200 bodies there is nothing wrong the the image quality. Today's D90 and D300 have a number or more advanced features for more money and the new D5000 is placed between the D60 and D90 bodies.

As always check out www.dpreview.com and www.bythom.com for inciteful reviews which will answer any number of your questions.

Date: 05/30/09 17:50
Author: kgmontreal

I think I'd opt for the D90 as my first choice or the new D5000 as my second choice. Have you looked at www.kenrockwell.com?

KG

Date: 05/30/09 19:51
Author: rich6000

Your not going to go wrong if you buy a D60 or a D5000 both are great cameras.

Date: 05/31/09 02:53
Author: QU25C

fbe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is generally nothing wrong with Olympus
> glass.
Damn good glass to, They make a newer camera a E 30. If you have some lens's why trade brands?

Date: 05/31/09 10:31
Author: theirishlion

I'm keeping the E-520, I just wanted a camera with a wider lens selection and the Nikon is in my price range.

Michael Gmoser
Saint Louis, MO

Date: 06/01/09 20:55
Author: jbwest

I have a D40 which I love, although it is taking second place to a D90 now. The D60 seems to very similar to the old D40X, which had 10 MP. It appears to be the same size and weight as the D40. The lightweight and small size of the D40, combined with the 18-200 VR lens if you go that route made photography a whole bunch simpler. I can travel with a small back, and the VR made a tripod optional. The major shortcoming of the D40 is it had a small buffer, which severally limited the number of "burst" shots I could take while a train was moving by me. I think about three was the limit. Getting a faster memory card might improve on this. This might or might not be an issue with the D60. I think you'll love the D60.

Another thing to consider is that if you post process on an older version of Photoshop, you may be forced to get a new version, since Adobe quits suppporting older versions pretty quickly and you may have trouble finding a RAW converter for an older version of PS that supports newer RAW formats.

JBWX

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/09 20:56 by jbwest.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0507 seconds