Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Railfan Technology > Nikon NEF files with CS

Date: 06/03/09 14:38
Nikon NEF files with CS
Author: CCMF

I have Photoshop CS v8.0 running on an XP platform and it works well for opening/editing Nikon RAW (NEF) files.

So I installed the same thing on a new laptop with VISTA and it will *not* open the same files.

Any ideas ? Is it really a VISTA problem ?

Date: 06/03/09 15:37
Re: Nikon NEF files with CS
Author: ddavies

Did you ever update the raw converter on XP and forget on Vista?

Date: 06/03/09 15:58

I've never done anything to either ...... how do I do that ? Googling produces no good options.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/09 16:06 by M-636.

Date: 06/03/09 16:37
Author: TrackOne

http://www.nikonimglib.com/nefcodec/index.html.en

instructions included on nikon site.

Date: 06/03/09 16:59

I'll try that thanks ...... it is VISTA/CS specific right ?

Date: 06/03/09 17:32

Windows Photo Gallery opens them perfectly fine. Conversions from there to E-mail etc work fine.

This download allows me to see the thumbnails etc of NEF files but will still not open them in PS.

"Could not complete your request because this version of Photoshop does not supply the services required by this plug-in module" (using Photoshop CS 8.0)

Date: 06/03/09 17:40
Author: fbe

M-636 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've never done anything to either ...... how do I
> do that ? Googling produces no good options.

Go to the www.adobe.com site and search out the program Adobe Camera Raw Convertor and read about downloading and installing the program for your Vista computer. Then all will be fine.

Date: 06/04/09 00:23
Author: LVFoamer

With Vista and 8.0 you will need to use the Adobe Camera Raw Converter. Once the Adobe Camera Raw Converter is installed it will open fine. It will act as the plug in.. I don't care what people say.. Vista is awful.. It drove me rebuild my old XP pc and give my new Vista pc to goodwill.. I go all over the world for work and we are the only country that Vista is common.. Everyone is still on XP and waiting for the new Windows OS. HP and Dell don't use Vista on there own machines.. that should tell you something there.. If you just do simple things it works ok.. But make it work hard or Program... what a computer should do.. good luck.. You still need XP to make and program most software for Vista... I say just get a MAC and make life easy.. My wife says that using a PC with Vista is like asking her husband (me) to do something around the house. She will tell me what to do and then I will say ok..Then ask permission for everything I am going to do. Then once I'm off the couch I will tell her I cant do it and I don't know how to fix it but if you call or email my Dad he might be able to help. After that I turn off the lights and close the door and sleep my weekend away ..lol.. If you are married then you know that is the WRONG answer. She said I need to be more like her MAC... Easy and fun to deal with ..does what she asked it to do...without talking back or calling its Dad for help. My wife made me get five macs to run our business. I have never looked back and they saved so much money i now pay my kids to do the list my wife gives me so I can sleep and rail fan and sleep my weekends away

Thanks Apple

Date: 06/04/09 17:34
Vista is terrible
Author: jbwest

Gotta take this chance to beat up on Vista. My new Toshiba laptop came with Vista installed and a disc for replacing it with XP. But I said what the heck, let's try Vista, the propaganda says it solves a bunch of security problems. It is hard to believe how bad Vista is. It is like going back to OS 9 on my Macs, or maybe worse than that. Individual windows constantly quit or freeze and I have to retart the window and restart whatever I was doing all over again, the new mail program is not as good as the old, ad nauseum. The good news is most of the problems are minor irritants. Since I only use the PC for email, word processing, and surfing the net....it's easier to live with it than to do a clean reinstall with XP. My graphics stuff is done on two Macs....and even my old G4 running OS 10.3.9 runs pretty flawlessly, and Leopard on my laptop is amazing. My guess is when the PC craps out I will migrate everything to Mac....I have already purchased the Mac versions of the business programs that were the reason for keeping a PC around. Mac ain't cheap, but at least what they do they do well....at least most of the time.

JBWX

Date: 06/04/09 17:48
Re: Vista is terrible

I have an HP 9250 and would like to switch to XP but I'm scared half the hardware will go dead on me because the machine is supposedly designed for VISTA.

Thoughts ?

Date: 06/05/09 04:36
Re: Vista is terrible
Author: johnacraft

M-636 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have an HP 9250 and would like to switch to XP
> but I'm scared half the hardware will go dead on
> me because the machine is supposedly designed for
> VISTA.
>
> Thoughts ?

I have run into issues trying to "upgrade" certain HP machines from Vista to XP. Specifically, some of the models with integrated motherboards did not have NIC / video drivers written for XP, only Vista.

Look in your Device Manager, make a list of all the hardware components, and find the XP drivers for those components. If you can't find all of them, don't try it.

Another alternative is to download Vista's replacement: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/

I've played with it a little, and it's a big improvement over Vista.

Final point: as a precaution, I strongly suggest setting up your new OS on a separate hard drive. That way in case something fails, "recovery" entails only plugging the old drive back in.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0543 seconds