Author: Mgoldman

Today's Adobe issue is:

After working fluidly on a few files in CS4 I found myself suddenly
unable to save a file as a JPEG due to insufficient memory. I had
just processed a few RAW's to converted a few to JPEG but this last
one no luck.

I closed all programs running hoping to free up some memory (AOL,
Taskbar, Anti-virus, AOL (which I shouldn't have running in the
first place, I know), I-Tunes store, ect., and still no go.

I found in Photoshop "Purge... " and purged history and clipboards,
and whatever else was there to purge. No go.

I'm running 4 Gig of memory w/ plenty of hardrive space.

What gives? What's the "when this happens" fix?

Thanks

/Mitch

Date: 04/07/10 21:10
Re: Again w/Adobe... CS4 Memory Issue
Author: trainjunkie

Which OS, Windows or Mac?

I don't know how memory is handled on Windows but on OS X in CS4 you go to Preferences > Performance where you can allocate more RAM to PS as well as specify the optimum scratch discs. Have you done this? See attached screen shot.

*EDIT* Sorry, just noticed you mentioned the Task Bar, which makes this a Windows installation. Not sure if there is a performance settings pane in preferences under Windows. Hopefully this helps though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/10 21:12 by trainjunkie.

Date: 04/08/10 05:12
Author: robj

reboot

I have an older system and work on P/s only after a soft reboot and with nothing else running.

If you are using bridge that can be a problem as it maintains directory information in memory.

You system its self should never run out of memory as it will use VM which will cause thing to crawl but not fail. I have never got that message from P/S.

Bob

Date: 04/08/10 08:30
Author: dharris

This may be a dumb question, but how's your hard drive space? And where do you have PS4's swap drive set to?

dharris

Date: 04/10/10 18:20
Author: Amtrak288

I use CS4 and found on my old computer that the "Help" screen would pop up for no reason when I had lots of files open. Some research on this pointed to a cause that involved the program doing that when it was hurting for memory. My old computer had 4GB of RAM and was running Windows XP Pro. My new machine has 6 GB of Triple Channel DDR3 RAM and runs Windows 7 Professional 64bit and this has happened only once, I chocked it off as a fluky thing since it never happened again. CS4 wants memory and plenty of it! Anyone else experience this???

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.053 seconds