Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Railfan Technology > TO Video on iPad?

Date: 07/04/10 16:41
TO Video on iPad?
Author: chessie-2117

Was wondering if it is possible to play video from Trainorders on an iPad? I can't seem to get it to function, although, I'm certain it could well be operator error. Any assistance is appreciated.

John R

Date: 07/05/10 13:34
Re: TO Video on iPad?
Author: johnacraft

chessie-2117 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was wondering if it is possible to play video from
> Trainorders on an iPad? I can't seem to get it to
> function, although, I'm certain it could well be
> operator error. Any assistance is appreciated.
>
> John R

The iPad doesn't support Flash. TO video is Flash-based.

JAC

Date: 07/05/10 17:35
Author: sou2601

Steve Jobs (Apple's high-supreme-potentate) is not a Flash fan, therefore Apple is anti-flash.

For his part, Jobs has some arguments about Flash: http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

However, there are many counter-arguments and claims: http://www.adobe.com/choice/flash.html

Ironically, when Apple talks about openness, to be an app on i(whatever), you have to use Apple's own developmental tools in order to make it.

Simply put, it's a war brewing between what is currently the de-facto standard (Flash) vs. the new kid on the block (Apple's Quicktime and HTML5 and Apple's own proprietary development tools).

-Eric

Date: 07/05/10 20:42
Author: webmaster

You can watch the videos on the iPad by clicking on the "download" link below the video. This should open it in Quicktime.

I am watching html5 carefully as I want to transition the site away from Flash and mp4. I do not like Flash either as it does a crappy job of playing back hi-resolution videos. In the near future I plan to start encoding our videos into the Web M video codec and away from mp4. We'll support both until Web M catches on. I am pretty optimistic that Web M will surpass mp4 as the main web video codec.

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 07/07/10 11:45
Author: jperry

Todd, I for one appreciate your efforts to keep TO current and accessible regardless of platform. Anything that can enrich or even facilitate a mobile experience is a good thing.

Keep up the good work.

Joe Perry
Ontario, CA
Chasing Steel

Date: 07/10/10 14:08
Author: Trogdor

We have two iPads, one iPod Touch, and two iPhones in my house... All download 95% of the videos on TO the same way. The video will not show up on the page but will ask you to download the video and then play it in Quicktime. If you want to watch Flash on your iPad the best way to do it is with one of the remote access programs like log me in and view your home PC or MAC n the iPad.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0412 seconds