Home Open Account Help 201 users online

Railfan Technology > Canon 60D

Date: 07/20/11 10:41
Canon 60D
Author: mococomike

In researching the Canon 60d some of the cons listed in reviews are 1. Noisy at a high ISO and 2. Poor at low light. Does anyone on TO own a 60D and have you experienced any the issues listed?

Costco has a really good deal on Canon 60d's right now.

Date: 07/20/11 12:10
Re: Canon 60D
Author: TAW

mococomike Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In researching the Canon 60d some of the cons
> listed in reviews are 1. Noisy at a high ISO and
> 2. Poor at low light. Does anyone on TO own a 60D

yes

> and have you experienced any the issues listed?

no

Date: 07/20/11 12:51
Author: kenfl9

I have a 60D body as a backup for my Canon 5D Mark II. I am very pleased with the results in low light and ISO 100 to 1600, but to give you further food for thought I am using the Canon 24-105mm and 100-400mm "L" lenses. The results are much sharper to begin with than the images taken with the "kit" lens. Taking advantage of the 1.6 magnification factor of the APC sensor here is a shot from July 5th at ISO 800, 1/1250 second at f8 just before sunset with the 100-400 at full zoom which comes out to a little over 600mm equivalent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/11 12:55 by kenfl9.

Date: 07/20/11 12:53
Author: ACR_Ted

mococomike Wrote:
> In researching the Canon 60d some of the cons
> listed in reviews are 1. Noisy at a high ISO and
> 2. Poor at low light. Does anyone on TO own a 60D
> and have you experienced any the issues listed?
>
> Costco has a really good deal on Canon 60d's right
> now.

Same price as Tempe Camera....other than Costco includes a memory card, case and mini-HDMI cable.

I'm also doing some research on this camera....not sure how much longer my Canon A-1's are going to last.

edit: As Ken says, the L series lens are much better than the kit lens. I'd be inclined to buy just the body and get the L lens instead.

Ted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/11 12:55 by ACR_Ted.

Date: 07/20/11 13:41
Author: TAW

TAW Wrote:
> mococomike Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > In researching the Canon 60d some of the cons
> > listed in reviews are 1. Noisy at a high ISO and
>
> > 2. Poor at low light. Does anyone on TO own a
> 60D
>
> yes
>
> > and have you experienced any the issues listed?
>
> no

Sorry, I don't do railfanning and my work pictures are generally not railfan quality. Here's a test I made right after I got the camera. This is ISO 3200 1/25 f3.5 with an EF 28-80 lens at 28mm. It's available light from a pair of 100W CFC floods on the corner of the building. Of course, it's also reduced in size by about 80 percent and JPGed.

TAW

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/11 13:42 by TAW.

Date: 07/20/11 15:03
Author: NormSchultze

go take a look at www.dpreview.com, and also popphoto. There are numerous review sites,too. But bodies come and bodies go, but great glass is forever.

Date: 07/21/11 07:21
Author: mococomike

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Date: 07/21/11 07:42
Author: railwaybaron

The lens is the most important element. Buy the body that suites you, but buy the best possible lens.

Date: 07/24/11 07:59
Author: robj

railwaybaron Wrote:
> The lens is the most important element. Buy the
> body that suites you, but buy the best possible
> lens.

The lens does last "forever" but we don't. The photo you take today is the important one, not the one you might take in 10 years. The camera body today is the equivalent of your old film camera and the film. In the old days the camera was just a glorified film holder. Today the image is computer generated, pure and simple sooooo in my humble opinion it is good to pay attention to the body you buy today. Your lens is only as good as the computer generated image your camera can create.

Bob Jordan

Date: 08/01/11 19:50
Author: SD45X

Just watch the weather, review I read said they weren't sealed up as good as the 40-50Ds. Said they cut some corners to compete with the Nikon 7000. And they mixed material making the body. But no bad picture taking was mentioned.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0563 seconds