Home Open Account Help 292 users online

Railfan Technology > Train tracking apps.

Date: 10/30/12 19:49
Train tracking apps.
Author: howeld

I'm sure I'm late to the party as usual but i finally discovered the airplane tracking apps that show commercial aircraft in real time on a map. Could this ever be possible for railroads? Very neat if something similar could be developed.
Derek

Date: 10/30/12 22:24
Re: Train tracking apps.
Author: OCVarnes

Here is the URL for Amtrak Status Maps web page http://www.dixielandsoftware.com/Amtrak/status/StatusMaps/.

I use it from time to time to check on various Amtrak trains performance.

OCV

Date: 10/31/12 16:44
Author: GenePoon

Well, there is the AAR's Advanced Train Control System (ATCS), whose radio signals you could pick
up with a modified scanner. Those digital signals could be decoded by software in your
computer to produce a graphic display on your monitor, much like a CTC video screen.

It dates from 2007 or so. I don't know who still uses it now, and if/when Positive Train Control
becomes operational, it will have tracking abilities that supercede it.

Info at:

http://www.fwarailfan.net/atcs.htm

http://www.atcsmon.com/

There is an ATCS Yahoo! Group:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/ATCS_Monitor/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/12 16:44 by GenePoon.

Date: 10/31/12 18:00
Author: howeld

Im very aware of ATCS and have it on my laptop. What i was wondering is a application that would put a train icon ona google map that would move in real time. Perhaps click on the icon and get train ID, speed, direction, Axel count, etc. I don't think any GPS trackers or line side detector or single company, railroad or otherwise has put the data together to even make this possible but it would be great if it was.

Date: 11/01/12 06:13
Author: baldylox

i believe you need some kind of account with the railroad to track items ie trains on their system. if you want to track the heritage engines, heritageunits.com this is compiled from folks who spot them or have access to accounts to get real time updates.

Date: 11/01/12 08:55
Author: Frisco1522

Wonder if ACTS would work on my iPad?

Date: 11/01/12 13:32
Author: jkurt

I wish the railroads would put this in as well. It sure would help with railfanning around the South OC areas. I know the security and employess of BNSF have something called ODIS but this is only for employees at this time. I sure wish there would be a railfan version of ODIS that wouldn't have as much info that the employees have of course but it would have some info like train ID and engine # and a GPS showing where they are in relation of where you are.

Date: 11/01/12 21:13
Author: tinytrains

Frisco1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wonder if ACTS would work on my iPad?

Nope. No plans at this time either I am told.

Scott Schifer
Torrance, CA
TinyTrains Website

Date: 11/02/12 09:10
Author: RustyRayls

RR employees get busted if they give out information like this. They can't even give you a copy of a line-up sheet anymore. Do you really think that they would be inclined to provide this information to anyone and everyone on the net????

Old Bob out in Lost Wages

Date: 11/02/12 13:05
Author: GenePoon

The airplane tracking sites depend on volunteers who own equipment that picks up
and decodes the GPS-derived digital navigational signals transmitted by radio from aircraft
to air traffic control; the volunteers continuously send the datastream they pick up,
to the tracking site's server.

Most large railroads do have two-way GPS capability on at least some of their equipment but
without the wide territorial coverage offered by a transmitter that's tens of thousands
of feet in the air, a ground user wouldn't be able to track such a train very far.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/12 15:06 by GenePoon.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0579 seconds