Home Open Account Help 339 users online

Railfan Technology > geotagging and new camera with gps

Date: 01/07/13 09:17
geotagging and new camera with gps
Author: arrowspatial

I had been using a (big) Nikon D300 and attached garmin gps with serial port connection.
Clumsy but effective.
Decided to start the new year off with a camera with embedded GPS.
For various reasons including price, am trying out Nikon AW100.

So far, pleased with results, and geotagged location built-in automatically.

Now the test is to see if I can upload this after downsizing to TO specs (900 wide),
keeping embedded exif data using Irfanview,
AND have the result keep the longitude/latitude info.

Reult should be: if downloaded, others can see where photo was taken, from easy to use google earth for example-- again via Irfanview's 'Show in Google Earth' (or now 'Show in Google Maps')
That is accessed from Irfanview -- Image -- Information-- Exif Info*

and YES it all works-- see screen capture below for Google Maps

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/13 09:22 by arrowspatial.

Date: 01/07/13 09:51
Re: geotagging and new camera with gps
Author: trainjunkie

Here's the not-so-cumbersome GPS solution for the D300 (and other Nikon D-SLRs).

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/microsite/gp-1/en/

Aftermarket versions are also available. Related discussion here...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/37780807

Date: 01/07/13 14:01
Author: mgwsy1978

I use a GPS unit for my Nikon D7000. Its made by Metagps http://www.metagps.com Only downfall to the GPS units is sometimes you have to wait for them to aquire a signal which can take a while at first.
If you go to this gallery of pics and click on the map this tab in the upper right it will show a map with the locations of the pics. http://mgwsy.smugmug.com/Trains/Amtrak-Conn-River-Test-Train-7

Date: 01/07/13 16:34
Author: Ray_Murphy

Be careful - it may be used to prove you were trespassing!

Ray

Date: 01/07/13 20:51
Author: MirandaDepot

The nice thing about using GPS data is that you can reconstruct the time of a photo...I screwed up my camera's time for a while, but if you dig into the detailed EXIF data, you can find the GPS date stamp and the GPS time stamp. Driving through a time zone change plus setting the camera to "World Time" plus perhaps setting the time an hour off (due to daylight savings time?) led me to wonder if I had the day right, much less the time right.

I'm using a small Aokatec Bluetooth wireless adapter with a Bluetooth GPS receiver with my Nikon camera. Works well...just keep the GPS receiver in a pocket and plug the adaper into the side of the camera. Nothing on the top of the camera.

The secret is that Nikon uses different connectors for the GPS connection, depending on the model of camera. There's a round connector on some models and a rectangular connector on other models. Furthermore, the rectangular connector is turned 180 degrees on some models. But that's another story demonstrating another mistake I've made. No need to disclose. Be aware, though, since I though a plug couldn't be inserted up side down. Not always true.

Date: 01/08/13 14:19
Author: march_hare

Ray_Murphy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Be careful - it may be used to prove you were
> trespassing!
>
> Ray

Exactly. Sure hope you can turn that feature off...

Date: 01/08/13 14:33
Author: arrowspatial

And one should be sure that the photo itself does not show you standing somewhere you should not be. For example, on the danger side of an active crossing gate.

Date: 01/14/13 07:28
Author: baldylox

As a Canon 5DII user i cannot not easily add GPS data directly into the camera. Wish I could. I use 2 methods and one is a APP on my phone that I can sync with the photo data in Lightroom or the easiest is to just place my "GPS" data into the new map feature for Google Maps manually. Drag image onto the map and viola....geotagged. :D Using this method I only enter EXIF GPS data for the photos i want to tag and not every single one. What I also like about Lightroom is there are easy options when exporting to strip all EXIF data from the image so you don't have to worry about what you are added to the file.

Date: 01/14/13 08:30
Author: glendale

march_hare Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ray_Murphy Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Be careful - it may be used to prove you were
> > trespassing!
> >
> > Ray
>
>
> Exactly. Sure hope you can turn that feature
> off...

Easy solution: don't trespass.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0637 seconds