Home Open Account Help 254 users online

Railfan Technology > Cloud servers: Here today, tomorrow..?

Date: 07/11/13 05:31
Cloud servers: Here today, tomorrow..?
Author: K3HX

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/07/myredis/

Backup, backup, backup.

Be Well,

Tim Colbert K3HX

Date: 07/11/13 09:31
Re: Cloud servers: Here today, tomorrow..?
Author: cchan006

Tech industry forecast: sunny with scattered clouds?

Interesting story regarding the lack of loyalty from the co-founder and the lead developer. Bigger lesson for the consumer is to NOT jump in head first into the latest hype so quickly like a crazed drug addict. If we are more cautious, the feeble startups won't even have the incentive to start, to eventually fail.

Date: 07/11/13 11:08
Author: 251F

Some of the article comments are good for a chuckle.

But this one sums up the whole concept:

"Cloud computing, as reliable and substantial as clouds."

d.

Date: 07/11/13 13:42
Author: NDHolmes

251F Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Cloud computing, as reliable and substantial as clouds."

As someone in the IT world, all I have to say is...

Yup!

Honestly I've never seen the appeal (from a user) of everything being a service accessed over the network. Most companies are too fickle and transitory for me to trust them for long term anything. I want my stuff stored on my drives and running on my machines. Then there are no doubts about who can access it, change how I use it, or anything else.

Date: 07/13/13 08:21
Author: fbe

Nikon set up a cloud based photo storage a few years ago. It might be nice to be able to access photos from a number of different computers from a variety of locations. In the last year or so Nikon killed the system allowing users time to retrieve their photos before they were tossed. Nikon has since constructed another cloud based storage and sharing system.

My brother gets a lot of use from his Apple iCloud system and is happy.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 07/15/13 10:13
Author: kk5ol

They'll be here forever. They're run by the NSA . . .

RailNet802, owevaaaah

Date: 07/15/13 16:06
Author: CrudPunko

There's no doubt the Cloud is a growing trend but I still find the bandwidth to slow for uploading 12-15mb or bigger files for backup.

No matter what, though, I'm reminded by that old phrase from the Cold War: "Trust but verify" (IIRC). In this case it would be "Trust but back up your freakin files anyway" or something like that.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0388 seconds