Home Open Account Help 219 users online

Railfan Technology > Video camera recommendation

Date: 03/24/14 17:24
Video camera recommendation
Author: 611Doug

I am looking to buy an entry level video camera. What should I be looking for? It has been a long time since I used my old Sony Super 8 and I am not familiar with what is out there now. I would like to stay under $500.

Date: 03/25/14 00:02
Re: Video camera recommendation
Author: clem

HD (1920x1080) resolution, 60p (60 frames per second, non-interlaced) speed. (Nothing wrong with 30p, but now you can get 60p). Digital memory cards have replaced tape, disk drives and optical media. SD/SDHC/SDXC cards: three upwardly compatible standards with successively higher capacities). Good optical zoom range (at least 20x).

Your old self will be jealous of what's out there now. As a (mostly) Canon user, I might get a Vixia HF R500 or R50 (the R50 has internal storage and Wifi, both of which I can do without). I'm sure that Panasonic, JVC and Sony have equally attractive cameras. More money ($1000 and up) will buy large sensors which will marginally increase picture quality, decrease depth of field and help with low-light photography, but the sub-$500 category is fine for RR photography.

Date: 03/25/14 12:07
Author: kk5ol

Whatever you get, be prepared for it to be obsolete by the time you figure out to operate it.

RailNet802, out

Date: 03/25/14 17:25
Author: bioyans

Also keep in mind that many of today's digital SLR's are capable of doing HD video. If you are going to be doing both still photography and video, one of the newer DSLR's might be a good choice and close to your price range.

Posted from Android

Date: 03/25/14 19:59
Author: mojaveflyer

I've been learning to shoot video using one of my DSLR camera bodies, a Canon T3i. I bought a 'shotgun' mike that fits on the hot shoe on top of the camera for about $35 off of Amazon.com that really helps with the audio. Steep learning curve but the big thing for me has been learning how to edit the video I shoot. It's fun to broaden your horizons with new skills. Have fun!

Date: 03/26/14 09:52
Author: clem

bioyans Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also keep in mind that many of today's digital
> SLR's are capable of doing HD video

Many DSLRs can't autofocus while they are shooting, so there's no (auto) focus adjustment during the video. Some newer DSLRs will autofocus: Canon T4i, Sony A37, Nikon D3200.

Also (not germane to trains, but worth knowing), DSLRs typically have a couple of limits on recording length:
1. 29 minutes of video in one clip. (The EU has a higher import tax on "video cameras" (cameras which can record 30 minutes in a clip).
2. 4GB file size per clip (about 12 minutes for typical HD) if the camera uses FAT32 formatted cards.

Date: 03/29/14 11:50
Author: leroy82646

For what it's worth; we bought a reconditioned Nikon D3100 with a kit lens for $349 or so at Adorama and it is video capable... Link here: http://www.adorama.com/INKD3100KR.html

We are old time "still photographers"; and bought this camera to back up our beloved Nikon d80... I shot some video with it using a monopod on a cloudy, overcast day that is simply great... The audio is even good... Lots of "rumble and burble" with the stock microphone... The DSLR is easier for me to use for that sort of thing than a camcorder; but i have used an SLR lots longer... It might not be a bad idea to take a look at a DSLR for this sort of thing....

Date: 04/02/14 22:55
Author: WP707

Most consumer class cameras have a lot os "automatic features built in, such as auto focus, auto exposure, etc.

The next step up, "prosumer" class camera's have more abilities to make manual adjustments...

One of the common mistakes new RR shooters make is leaving the auto exposure ON...which is a problem as a string of box cars goes past, and the automatic exposure circuits reacting to the constantly changing light levels as the cars, and GAPS between cars pass by, and the result is a pictures that constantly goes between light & dark, which is very annoying to watch. Learn how to set the exposure manually.

Beware of annoying wind noise in the microphone. an external mic with good quality windscreen produces the best results...

Savvy shooters learn to stabilize tripods with sandbags...at the very least an empyy canvas bag and a bungie cord will allow you to fill the bag with sand, dirt, or rocks on location, and dump when done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/14 22:55 by WP707.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0589 seconds