Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Railfan Technology > Getting set up with ATCS

Date: 04/05/14 04:33
Getting set up with ATCS
Author: sooman1

I am interested in getting into ATCS... I have looked at the Yahoo site etc.

My first questions concern what minimum specs for a laptop computer and second I have a Radio Shack Pro-66 scanner (would it be suitable re the discriminator thing)...

bob

Date: 04/06/14 06:16
Re: Getting set up with ATCS
Author: OARC

Windows XP is just fine. Does not take much to run it.

Once you get it, I use wifi internet connection. I suggest you get with someone who already has ATCS.

I personally never use a scanner thing to hook up to view ATCS

Mike in Ohio

Date: 04/06/14 11:25
Author: mearsksealand

If you are planning to field monitor ATCS you need a radio to monitor. If you want to enjoy ATCS with the Server layouts posted in the files section of ATCS you do not need a radio.

If you want to field monitor with a radio I would strongly suggest you purchase a Maxtrac radio that is set up for this purpose---usually if you post your needs in the ATCS group someone will assist with the radio

Dale Smith

Date: 04/06/14 15:52
Author: nkp746

One caveat- someone has to be monitoring with a scanner to feed data into the server, if I understand it correctly. For example, I have ATCS working and use it to monitor the NS Lake Erie District . I found a gentleman who hosts a server over near Buffalo. The district is only "monitored" as far west as Ripley, NY- west of there no one is scanning to provide data into the server. So, I can see activity from Buffalo to roughly Ripley, NY- on occasion a bit farther west depending how those with the scanners reception is at the time.

At least that is how I think it works. I am planning to make the scanner modification so I can monitor myself- I can likely get a few more control points west from Ripley towards Girard, PA. I doubt I will be able to get all the way to Conneaut, OH. I have not yet figured out if I do scan how to feed my data into the server that already exists. I am more than willing to do so, as it would expand the area actively monitored and be helpful to all.

If you are trying to monitor a line that is "scanned" in its entirety, you are all set going the server route.

If I have this wrong someone please set me straight!

Rob B.

Date: 04/06/14 22:59
Author: RyanWilkerson

Hi Rob,
It sounds like you have a good understanding of how it works. I will add that the servers offering good coverage usually have a network of strategically located volunteers pitching their ATCS data to the server. If you are willing to improve the coverage in an existing server's layout footprint, I'm sure they will be happy to have it. It really isn't too hard to get it setup to pitch the data. It's a program with a very small configuration file and you'll just want to install it on a PC that runs 24/7. The hardware requirements are minimal. I've run it on a 400Mhz CPU with 256MB of RAM. I would suggest contacting the server custodian for the area and go from there.

nkp746 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have not yet figured out if I do
> scan how to feed my data into the server that
> already exists. I am more than willing to do so,
> as it would expand the area actively monitored and
> be helpful to all.
>
> Rob B.

Ryan Wilkerson
Fair Oaks, CA

Date: 04/10/14 12:33
Author: railnuts

For field monitoring the Maxtrac radios r the way to go along with a i-mic to feed into your laptop. also from Woodworth, PA to Reed/Ashtabula its non-ATCS so forget about that area for monitoring. Get ahold of the guy whos feeding the server in that area and im sure he wouldn't mind u pitching the traffic through his system.

FWS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/14 00:23 by railnuts.

Date: 04/11/14 13:13
Author: CCMF

Too bad I didn't live closer Bob I'd have you going in 30 minutes. It's going to work very well where you are.

Bill Miller
Galt, ON

Date: 04/11/14 17:42
Author: Thumper

CCMF Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Too bad I didn't live closer Bob I'd have you
> going in 30 minutes. It's going to work very well
> where you are.
Maybe an excuse for a trip to the area?
You like to travel as I recall...

Bryce Lee

Date: 04/13/14 11:19
Author: CCMF

Indeed, 12 days until the KCS comes into vision.

Bill Miller
Galt, ON

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0485 seconds