Home Open Account Help 298 users online

Railfan Technology > Problem with Canon T3i

Date: 04/25/14 18:13
Problem with Canon T3i
Author: srman

I need some advice. Last December I purchased a Canon T3i that I have really yet to use. I'm still using my older Rebel XTi
until I can figure what's going on with my new one. When I first got it I shot a few images and viewed my results immediately in the cameras window.
Now I have Photoshop Elements 9 and when I tried to load the images it said that it was a bad file and could not open. Someone suggested that I needed to upgrade to Elements 12. I finally got around to upgrading to it a few weeks ago. Still same problem. I've got a friend who has the T2i and we took my memory card and put it in his camera, shot an image and it opened on my computer. Now I'm not computer savy however what is going on? I'd like to start using this camera. Thanks

Date: 04/25/14 19:11
Re: Problem with Canon T3i
Author: robj

If you are shooting jpg's then I don't think the version of elements should matter.
If you are shooting RAW I would switch to JPG and see what happens.
Unless those test images are really interesting, I would format your card or use another
card which you format in this new camera. You shouldn't move cards between cameras without reformatting.

So format a card, shoot jpg to start. Download. Now you can view it with any program,like windows viewer.

Now shoot some RAW's if that is what you want. If elements can't open you should have some software with the
camera that can??? At least Nikon does. If that works(canon software), Then you should go to the Adobe Elements site and download the
update for your camera, if it was very new, the converter may not have the update.

After that, I don't know, generally don't blame the camera until last resort.

Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/14 19:14 by robj.

Date: 04/25/14 21:10
Author: mojaveflyer

I have a T3i and shoot in RAW. I've not had a problem editing in Photoshop Elements 10 or 11. If you have formatted the SD card it should work. Could it be a problem with the card reader or do you plug the camera in to the computer?

Date: 04/25/14 21:35
Author: clem

Canon raw (CR2) format tends to change subtly with almost every new camera. Adobe has an update, Camera Raw 6.4.1 Update, which claims to enable Elements 9 to read T3i CR2 files. Which implies that the out-of-the-box Elements 9 will not read those files.

Date: 04/26/14 09:21
Author: bioyans

clem Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Canon raw (CR2) format tends to change subtly with
> almost every new camera. Adobe has an update,
> Camera Raw 6.4.1 Update, which claims to enable
> Elements 9 to read T3i CR2 files. Which implies
> that the out-of-the-box Elements 9 will not read
> those files.

Agreed. When I got Elements 9, it wouldn't read CR2 files for the T3i. An update of 9 took care of that and it now works fine (without having to purchase a new version). I also found that, depending upon the Windows version I was using, I had to download codecs for my 64-bit Windows system to read CR2 files. At first, it took purchasing a third party plug in to do so. However, since then, Windows has released software that updates 64-bit Windows systems to read Canon CR2 files.

As others have stated, format a card in the T3i and use it only in that camera. See if you still have the same issues.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/14 09:24 by bioyans.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0356 seconds