Home Open Account Help 367 users online

Railfan Technology > Good external mike for Sony HDR-CX160?

Date: 07/20/14 06:03
Good external mike for Sony HDR-CX160?
Author: tehachapi-dave

Hello,

I'm looking for a good external mike to cut down on wind noise to use with a Sony HDR-CX160.

Thanks in advance

Tehachapi-TJ Over & Out.

Date: 07/20/14 08:00
Re: Good external mike for Sony HDR-CX160?
Author: bigjim4life

Ahhh...my exact model of video camera. I 110% recommend either the Rode Videomic or Videomic Pro. Add on a fuzzy "dead cat" cover to go over top of the regular mic and it is fantastic for cutting out wind noise. I've been to Strasburg on windy days before and after the mic. Before the mic, the wind noise dominated my videos (using just the internal mic). After getting the Rode, and the "dead cat", the wind noise is virtually eliminated, and the noise from the train is picked up much earlier and much clearer. Plus it's a very affordable option.

Jim Lipnitz
Morrisville, PA
Big Jim Video Productions

Date: 07/20/14 11:28

Jim, I thanks for the suggestion, I was hoping on finding something decent in the less the $100 range. Any other ones that you would recomend?

Tehachapi-TJ Over & Out.

Date: 07/20/14 13:33

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a: Rode VideoMic GO On-Camera Shotgun Microphone and WindTech MM-29 Mic-Muff with 3' Stereo Mini Male to Stereo Mini Female Extension Cable
Just want to make sure this will be compatible with the CX160. Is it?

Thanks in advance

Tehachapi-TJ Over & Out.

Date: 07/21/14 17:28
Author: CSX1346

Just purchased the Rode Go mic for my Sony camcorder with a "Dead Cat" muff. Don't forget to purchase the hot shoe adapter if you need one. I did but managed to get one before my trip to Berea and Fostoria. Worked well. I purchased mine from B&H Camera in NY. Always good service and helpful customer service. Free shipping on some things.

Date: 07/21/14 23:28
Author: jbolle

I'd also add that a "dead cat" From Rode, as noted above. It works WAY better than the stock windscreen typically supplied with many external mics for video.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=rode+dead+cat&Go=Search

Hope this helps!

John B

Date: 07/23/14 10:01
Author: Narr8rdanny

Before I spent $250 bucks on that clunky Rode VideoMic, I'd look at the SONY ECM-XYST1M. Much smaller stereo mic, sounds great, mounts in the hot shoe (Does the CX-160 have a hot or cold shoe mount?)
comes with a good furry windscreen, stands up to high sound pressure like locomotive horns... and it's $99.

Just a suggestion.

Danny Harmon
Tamp

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/14 10:05 by Narr8rdanny.

Date: 07/23/14 11:43
Author: bigjim4life

Narr8rdanny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Before I spent $250 bucks on that clunky Rode
> VideoMic, I'd look at the SONY ECM-XYST1M. Much
> smaller stereo mic, sounds great, mounts in the
> hot shoe (Does the CX-160 have a hot or cold shoe
> mount?)
> comes with a good furry windscreen, stands up to
> high sound pressure like locomotive horns... and
> it's $99.
>
> Just a suggestion.
>
> Danny Harmon
> Tamp

There's no hot/cold shoe mount on top of the CX-160 - so you'd have to get an accessory to mount it on top. I use a Vello CB-510 bracket mount that I put under the camera and on top of the tripod - so this way I can mount the mic directly above the camera. And not once have I ever picked up a camera noise with the mic (unless you have menu sounds turned on or the little ding when you start/stop recording).

Jim Lipnitz
Morrisville, PA
Big Jim Video Productions

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.057 seconds