Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Railfan Technology > List of Radio Channel Assignments?

Date: 07/31/14 06:52
List of Radio Channel Assignments?
Author: N0DMT

The C&TSRR recently went to narrow band digital radios. As part of this project they were assigned some additional VHF channels, and 2 UHF channels for repeater linking. Anybody know where these assignments are listed? I went to AAR's website which directed me to the website of the test center in Pueblo, and quickly mired down.

Steven Forney
Lakewood, CO

Date: 07/31/14 07:38
Re: List of Radio Channel Assignments?
Author: n5dhg

Do an Internet search for FCC Callsign WQFC502

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/14 07:46 by n5dhg.

Date: 07/31/14 08:02

Thanks for the suggestion, but the search returns only hobbyist lists, with the 2 channels the C&T have had for years, but not the new assignments issued sometime in the last year. I'm hoping AAR has information that's publicly available.

Steven Forney
Lakewood, CO

Date: 07/31/14 10:13
Author: TCnR

Let us know how monitoring narrow band digital works out.

Another Discussion site suggested the Urban Transit rail operations are moving to Digital. Seems like a logical move for Security and Funding.

Date: 07/31/14 14:19
Author: n5dhg

Here's the URL for the frequency portion of the license, from the FCC's public database (there are two pages):

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/licenseFreqSum.jsp;JSESSIONID_ULSSEARCH=hQhGThxJGBcQrDgTclj7J8jJplCLB3dMLnS3z31txyjhh5yh2Rpx!-701794836!203694623?licKey=2819293

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/14 14:24 by n5dhg.

Date: 07/31/14 14:45
Author: sptno

If they went with what the railroads are going with, then the receiver will need to NXDN, Kenwood or Icom, capable.

Currently, no scanner manufacturer has an NXDN capable scanner, that is unless one was released within the past week or two.

The railroads are slowly moving toward the NXDN digital format.

Having worked in the consultant world, I really like NXDN and the users also like the radios because the audio sounds really good.

I am starting to look at purchasing a Kenwood VHF radio that is NXDN capable.

Pat
South Austin,TX
WA5VRO

Date: 07/31/14 15:26

Thanks, n5dhg, for the callsign. Finally found the freqs at the FCC. Hope I won't need the AAR split channel numbers, will worry about that if the radio I decide on needs that for programming. C&TS says they have no plan to encrypt.

Who would think the Cumbres and Toltec would go to NXDN radios. They've had communication problems for a long time, but those could have been solved a lot cheaper by putting decent mobile radios and antennas in the concession cars, instead of trying to rely on hand helds and rubber ducks. Also, the repeaters needed routine servicing. They get some operational flexibility with added VHF channels, and the UHF channels let them link the repeaters for end-to-end coverage. Must have got a nice grant.

I'm thinking of one of the Icom radios, maybe the F3261DT. Pricey, tho, so will probably go with a cheaper model.

Steven Forney
Lakewood, CO

Date: 07/31/14 18:10
Author: WW

The narrow-banding requirement of Jan. 1, 2013 changed the landscape for the railroads, as it did for most businesses using the VHF two-way radio bands. Much of the radio equipment more than about 10 years old would not narrow-band and became legally non-useable on that date. In addition, the AAR/FCC adopted the NXDN digital standard with an assured future implementation date of required NXDN digital communications. In that environment any railroad would be foolish not to acquire NXDN-capable equipment when they purchase additional or replacement radio equipment, as the AAR digital requirement would very likely be put in place during the service life of the equipment. Being independent of the rest of the railroad network meant that the C&TS could adopt NXDN digital radio sooner if they had the equipment and chose to do so, which they obviously did.

Date: 08/02/14 11:54
Author: wa4umr

A few months ago I posted some info about NXDN and some possible options. I won't repeat them here, just refer you to that article.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?9,3414512,3415383#msg-3415383

I've been watching for any updates that I can post but as of now, that posting is about as up to date as I can get.

John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0422 seconds