Home Open Account Help 352 users online

Railfan Technology > Flash for Nikon D3200

Date: 10/29/14 11:46
Flash for Nikon D3200
Author: RNinRVR

I am starting to get into low light photography and wondered about recommendations for a good on camera flash, cost less then $200.

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA

Date: 11/02/14 04:14
Re: Flash for Nikon D3200
Author: kgmontreal

Flash photography of railroad subjects is difficult. Most inexpensive flash units don't illuminate much beyond 10 feet. Even in a museum building where a locomotive is stationary most flash units cannot light the entire locomotive.

The photographers doing good night flash shots (Gary Knapp) are using multiple slave flash units placed throughout a scene. This is labor intensive and requires much practice.

Years ago I worked as a photographer and was supplied with a powerful and very expensive flash unit that was used by the police to photograph large crime scenes. It was powered by a lead/acid liquid battery that strapped to my hip. It had remarkable "fire power" but even with it I couldn't take decent night action shots of trains.

I suggest that you'd be better to purchase the new Nikon D750 camera which has excellent low light capabilities. Forget about flash.

KG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/14 13:38 by kgmontreal.

Date: 11/02/14 06:06
Author: RNinRVR

Thanks this is good information to think about.

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA

Date: 11/08/14 10:48
Author: calsubd

KG, How come every time I buy a new Nikon its discontinued in a month and they come out with a replacement, LOL

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.059 seconds