Home Open Account Help 266 users online

Railfan Technology > Nikon D5100 Video

Date: 11/08/14 07:20
Nikon D5100 Video
Author: calsubd

So I've had this camera for 5 yrs and am now going to play with the video features, I wanted to get a dual Battery pack, but cant find a Nikon one , the first test video was 6 seconds and used 15 mb's, Is this Standard or do I need to get in the settings ?, TIA

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 11/08/14 11:12
Re: Nikon D5100 Video
Author: clem

The size sounds about right - 150 MB per minute.

Date: 11/08/14 12:37

would you happen to know the max size of memory card the cam can handle, or would it be best to use 2GB cards and carry multiple ones ? TIA
ARE YOU Daytona BEACH CLEM ?, IF SO I've bought from you before !

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 11/08/14 21:12
Author: clem

Ed, according to the online manual at http://cdn-10.nikon-cdn.com/pdf/manuals/dslr/D5100_EN.pdf the D5100 can accept SDHC cards (which go to 32GB) and SDXC cards (up to 64GB). Either of those types should do fine. 2GB cards are small by today's standards, and aren't even a very good value. The most economical (lowest cost per GB) cards are probably the 16 and 32 GB models. A 32GB card will hold nearly 3 hours of HD video.

Incidentally, the D5100 will record at most 20 minutes of video without a pause. There are two reasons. First, the SDHC format is limited to 4GB files, which hold about 20 minutes of video. Second, most still cameras are limited to under 30 minutes to avoid a European import tax on camcorders. The Europeans consider any camera capable of recording 30 minutes video non-stop to be a camcorder.

And no, I'm not in Daytona Beach. Despite my stereotypically southern name, I was born in and live in California.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/14 22:20 by clem.

Date: 11/09/14 03:00

Thank you very much Clem for your help , Years ago I got back into Photography at Clem's classic camera's at the Daytona Beach flea market, Bought a N6006 there and although retired now I still have it (we're both retired LOL)

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 11/09/14 07:27
Author: tq-07fan

Clem, that's interesting on the length of time allowed on the video and why. My D5000 I mention on the other thread will only go up to five minutes. Not a problem over here but I could not get the continuous time that it takes from closing of the gates at a level crossing to the passing of the train(s) to the opening. All of which often took longer then five, even ten or more minutes in the UK. I have a D40 for a spare and the D5000 so I will wait until one of them fails to upgrade.

Jim

Date: 11/09/14 15:37

video's came out good today but couldn't upload so I'll try tomorrow or u tube

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0402 seconds