Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Railfan Technology > Epson slide scanners

Date: 11/23/14 15:21
Epson slide scanners
Author: WP17

I just retired recently and I'm planning to start scanning many of my better slides. I'm looking at the Epson V700 which has been recommended by several rail slide collector friends of mine.

Questions:
1. Is the V700 a good way to go? Are there other scanners to consider?
2. Epson has just released the V800 -- does anyone have any thoughts about the new model?

Any insight/opinions/guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Date: 11/23/14 16:54
Re: Epson slide scanners
Author: Frisco1522

I've been using a V700 for several years and am pleased with it. I like the idea that I can scan slides in batches of 12. I'm sure there are dedicated slide scanners that are better, but I've never been disappointed in my Epson.

Date: 11/23/14 18:13
Author: chico

Welcome to the world of digitizing your film. It made me fall in love with film all over again when I started scanning slides. I have a Nikon Coolscan V so I can't comment to the Epson but suffice to say the time spent scanning slides is worth it. Might want to have a secondary diversion, like a football game on in the background. Its a tedious process. But worth it. I used to label slides during the short days of winter. Now you can scan slides during those short days!

chico

Date: 11/23/14 23:14
Author: MartyBernard

All the scans I have posted are from my plustek Optic Film 7600. There is a newer version. I didn't like the software packaged with it and use vuescan instead. Can the Epson you are thinking about do an infrared scan to eliminate most of the dust and scratches on the slide? I don't understand the doing 12 at a time. You want to adjust the scanner software for each slide.

See:
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?9,3512961,3525295#msg-3525295

Marty Bernard

Date: 11/27/14 21:11
Author: NebraskaZephyr

I am using the V550 which is a much-less-expensive cousin to the V700, the main difference is you can only scan four slides at a time instead of 12. Can still do 2 1/4" 120 negs or slides. After a bit of a learning curve I am now getting good results (see attached).

The software you process your images with does make a difference, so heed the good advice on here. Marty Bernard turned me on to NeatImage, which cleans up noise and speckles very nicely.

NZ

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0523 seconds