Home Open Account Help 278 users online

Railfan Technology > Image Resizing

Date: 01/04/15 13:29
Image Resizing
Author: railfanbear

What to folks use for an image resizing program? I scan my slides in at maximum resolution for prints, but need to resize them for posting. A couple I've tried get the pixal size ok but compress the file so much that it losses resolution.

Cheers
GCP

Date: 01/04/15 14:20
Re: Image Resizing
Author: ddavies

If you already have the size in pixels correct, just save that image as a temporary jpg file with compression about 7 or 8 out of 10-12. Make the small image for posting a different name or you may overwrite the original file. ;-)

Date: 01/04/15 16:20
Author: tinytrains

Adobe Photoshop Elements is the most common app out there for cleaning up scans. Not necessarily the best.

If you are running Windows, MS Picture Editor will do the job for free, and for Mac the built-in Preview app works fine. As posted above, try different compression settings until you are happy. Most people make their images about 1000 pixels across for TOs.

Scott Schifer
Torrance, CA
TinyTrains Website

Date: 01/05/15 08:16
Author: robj

1000 pixels wide for Horizontal, 500kb or so for size but that depends on the image, ie B/W or color and how much detail vs sky or night etc. . Not sure what you mean by losing resolution, you will never see the same detail you saw in the original.

Bob Jordan

Date: 01/06/15 13:30
Author: nomosantafe

Adobe Photoshop Elements works well.

Here is a scan I made of one of my slides. The scan is 7920 x 5328 pixels at 4000 pixels/inch.

I cropped the photo and resized it. Using Image Size - Set the resolution to 72 pixels /inch and resize to 11 x 8.25 inches.

Make whatever adjustments needed and save it as a JPEG. Use the slider to set it below 400 kb and you will have a photo to share on Train Orders.

Photo taken at Beaverton, Oregon in 1970. This photo has been resized using the steps mentioned. It's really easy once you get the hang of it.

Nomosantafe
Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West Begins"

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0423 seconds