Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Railfan Technology > VueScan vs Silverfast?

Date: 01/08/15 11:53
VueScan vs Silverfast?
Author: CCT41

Guys, my old MAC (OS9) running Nikon scan has quit. I am having troubles getting Nikon Scan to run stable in OSX 10.9, and am looking at either VueScan or Silverfast as my replacement options.

I have both Motorla and Intel based MACs, and use a Nikon LS400ED Super Coolscan.

Any recommendations here?

thnaks,
John

Date: 01/08/15 12:18
Re: VueScan vs Silverfast?
Author: trainjunkie

Is there a specific reason you are running OS9? If you have an Intel Mac, running OSX would probably be a better way to go.

Date: 01/08/15 12:23

Nikon scan does not run well in the later OSX versions, so I have been using it in OS9. I could install a earlier version of OSX on a machine, but the Nikon software just does not work as well as it did in OS9.
trainjunkie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is there a specific reason you are running OS9? If
> you have an Intel Mac, running OSX would probably
> be a better way to go.

Date: 01/08/15 12:56
Author: ACR_Ted

I would highly recommend VueScan. I've used it for decades and it works quite well. I don't know about Mac compatibility though.

Nikon refuses to update the ED4000 software for newer versions of Windows...I had to find and modify a .inf file to make the Nikon Scan run.

Ted

Date: 01/08/15 12:59
Author: trainjunkie

If you go with Silverfast or Vuescan, they both run fine under OSX. Personally, I use Vuescan and detest Silverfast. I've been running OSX since Panther (10.3) and currently run Snow Leopard (10.6) and Vuescan has always been as stable as a rock.

Date: 01/08/15 13:22
Author: ChooChooDennis

I tried for a couple years to make the Nikon scan software work to no avail.

Bought the VueScan and it worked perfectly from the start. Needless to say, I wish I had those two years of Nikon software back. :-)

This is running on intel Mac.

Dennis Livesey
New York, NY

Date: 01/08/15 14:04
Author: kgmontreal

Vue Scan is far superior to Silverfast.

KG

Date: 01/08/15 15:46

Thanks guys! I was hoping that was the case, as Silverfast is a lot of $$$$!!!!!

Date: 01/08/15 21:30
Author: MartyBernard

I was using Silverfast and going crazy. Read about Vuescan here on T.O. and loved it immediately. It is running my plustek scanner.

Marty Bernard

Date: 01/10/15 14:40
Author: WrongMain

I agree with Marty. I had both Silverfast that came with my PlusTek 7600 and VueScan that I purchased a little later. VueScan is friendlier to the user and I believe the results look better, too. I've been running it on my Mac, starting with Snow Leopard through Yosemite with no problems.

Date: 01/11/15 20:01
Author: jbwest

I have used Vuescan with the Nikon Super Coolscan and various OSX operating systems up to 10.10. Works for me and is very user friendly. Have never tried Silverfast.

JBWX

Date: 01/14/15 17:34
Author: LV95032

VueScan is the way to go. It renders B&W much better than Nikon software ever did. Also in case any issues the developer is a nice guy who answers questions :-)
Switched when OSX came along and Nikon refused to update.

Rich

CCT41 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Guys, my old MAC (OS9) running Nikon scan has
> quit. I am having troubles getting Nikon Scan to
> run stable in OSX 10.9, and am looking at either
> VueScan or Silverfast as my replacement options.
>
> I have both Motorla and Intel based MACs, and use
> a Nikon LS400ED Super Coolscan.
>
> Any recommendations here?
>
> thnaks,
> John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0352 seconds