Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Railfan Technology > Plustek 8200i not working

Date: 01/16/15 12:55
Plustek 8200i not working
Author: donstrack

I haven't used my Plustek 8200i slide/negative scanner since late July. I don't know when it happened, but this morning I noticed that the icon was missing from my Windows task bar. I tried re-installing the driver, and the installation would hang before finishing. This is similar to what happened when my Minolta scanner died a little over two years ago. <sigh> Time for a new scanner.

As a last ditch effort I wrote a note to Plustek technical support. They responded within an hour, suggesting changing the scanner to a different USB port, and reinstalling the driver using a linked ZIP file included in their response. It worked. All is well again.

Just thought I'd share that USB ports apparently do go bad.

http://utahrails.net/tech-talk-photos.php

Don Strack

Date: 01/22/15 13:31
Re: Plustek 8200i not working
Author: LV95032

Yes they do. Had that trouble a lot at work on various PC's. Had to try various ports to get PC to recognize a flash drive :-(

RWJ

donstrack Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I haven't used my Plustek 8200i slide/negative
> scanner since late July. I don't know when it
> happened, but this morning I noticed that the icon
> was missing from my Windows task bar. I tried
> re-installing the driver, and the installation
> would hang before finishing. This is similar to
> what happened when my Minolta scanner died a
> little over two years ago. Time for a new
> scanner.
>
> As a last ditch effort I wrote a note to Plustek
> technical support. They responded within an hour,
> suggesting changing the scanner to a different USB
> port, and reinstalling the driver using a linked
> ZIP file included in their response. It worked.
> All is well again.
>
> Just thought I'd share that USB ports apparently
> do go bad.
>
> http://utahrails.net/tech-talk-photos.php
>
> Don Strack

Date: 01/22/15 14:30
Re: Plustek 8200i not working
Author: donstrack

This thing about a bad USB port is similar to another USB problem. Back when I first got Windows Vista in June 2008, there were many hardware driver problems. One of them was using the Minolta DualScan IV slide scanner and Vuescan. With Ed Hamrick's help (he is the Vuescan developer) we found that I could not use a USB cable longer than six feet. At that time I had the scanner in a convenient spot that allowed a good workflow to scan slides. I moved it closer, right above the CPU and beside the monitor, and never had another problem, until the scanner died five years later.

Don Strack

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0428 seconds