Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Railfan Technology > Help with processing an image

Date: 02/05/15 14:10
Help with processing an image
Author: rsanchez

I've been working on some slides for a book project and have had a hard time getting this image to look "right". The part that seems to be missing is the ability to be the shadowed areas to show more detail.

The image was scanned using a Plustek 8200i with VueScan 9.0 software saved as a .dng format (Adobe digital negative) and processed in Adobe CC. Does anyone have any tips or trips to get the shadow detail out. I could share the original dng file if someone wants to see if they can get it better.

Date: 02/05/15 16:38
Re: Help with processing an image
Author: wheel_slip

Try going to "image" - "adjustments" - "shadows/highlights"

Move the radius up to about 160 px and start with the tone at 50% and move the "amount" slider to see if that gets you going.

Andy

Date: 02/05/15 17:20
Author: trainjunkie

Do you know for sure that the shadow detail is in the original?

Date: 02/05/15 20:16
Author: fbe

I am kind of with trainjunkie on this one. You may be trying to find an image which the dynamic range of the film cannot support.

I would scan the image three times one about 1/2 stop underexposed, one stop at the normal exposure and the last a full stop over exposed. You might do a couple more about 1.5 stops over exposed and a 5th one a full stop under exposed. You may not have to use the last two but at least you have them if needed.

What you are going to do is stack the images and let Photo Shop to drag the maximum dynamic range out of the scan and combine this information into one balanced image.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 02/06/15 14:42
Author: jkh2cpu

I took a look and don't see a thing in the shadows.

John.

Date: 02/06/15 16:07
Author: rsanchez

Thanks to some suggestions I was able to pull out some of the shadow detail using the shadow/highlights tool. As some noted there really is not a lot of detail to begin with. Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

Date: 02/07/15 08:45
Author: robj

A little crop to cut down on the black areas??

Bob

Date: 02/10/15 23:00
Author: MartyBernard

Adjust Vuescan so you get a way over exposed scan. Then with your photo editing software adjust the color balance. If no shadow detail appears, it isn't there.

Marty Bernard

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0373 seconds