Home Open Account Help 306 users online

Railfan Technology > Considering a new camera soon for railfanning

Date: 03/30/15 15:56
Considering a new camera soon for railfanning
Author: jkurt

I had a JVC everio-GZ_MS230 that broke during a fall last September when I was filming trains a Beaumont.  This is the new camera I am thinking of.  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=909750&gclid=COCaj9eT0cQCFZY2aQodTAIAlw&Q=&is=REG&A=details  I think it looks nice but I would like to hear from others as well.   I would like a camera that I can shoot stills at the same time as video.   I also hope I can get a long lasting battery and software that comes with it in the box.   Any info would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Kurt. 

Date: 03/31/15 11:58
Re: Considering a new camera soon for railfanning
Author: jkh2cpu

Since no one's spoken up...  Consider Nikon / Canon cameras that
do video as well as photos.  You get the advantage of decent lenses.

HTH.

John.

Date: 03/31/15 19:35
Author: MGB78610

I would second the recommendation of a DSLR... the only consideration that comes with it is that most DSLR autofocus systems are not very good at tracking moving subjects. The workaround is learning manual focus, if you are willing to do this, DSLR is likely the best option.

Date: 04/01/15 04:46
Author: jkh2cpu

I quit using auto focus, and just went to manual.  There's
something called 'hyperfocal distance' beyond which a
lens is in focus; I focus on something far away and call
it good, and my videos are in focus, even on objects fairly
close to me.

HTH.

John.

Date: 04/02/15 04:56
Author: RFandPFan

I have a little different take on this.  I purchased a Panasonic HC-V750 Digital Camcorder.  It shoots in HD with 5.1 channel surround sound and also does 24 megapixel still photos.  It also has 20X optical zoom and digital zoom (I don't use).

It takes great video and stills and another feature is that you can take still photos at the same time you are video taping.  So, for example, if I'm shooting a video of a passing train but also want a still photo of the engines, I can hit the button to take a still shot and it does not affect the video.  It also has a feature where you can capture a still photo while playing back a video on the camera.

This may not be what some DSLR fans would do, but it works great for me for railfanning purposes.  Just a suggestion.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1023343&gclid=Cj0KEQjw0fOoBRDn88Pol8bqhN0BEiQARGVJKlQ7wHYT6L8KRS9Y8vg_kOnU7B26OgmDJLQA687oPMAaAguV8P8HAQ&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Date: 04/02/15 19:25
Author: cchan006

jkurt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I had a JVC everio-GZ_MS230 that broke during a
> fall last September when I was filming trains a
> Beaumont.  This is the new camera I am thinking
> of. 
> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=
> &sku=909750&gclid=COCaj9eT0cQCFZY2aQodTAIAlw&Q=&is
> =REG&A=details  I think it looks nice but I would
> like to hear from others as well.   I would
> like a camera that I can shoot stills at the same
> time as video.   I also hope I can get a long
> lasting battery and software that comes with it in
> the box.   Any info would be appreciated. 
>
>
> Thanks,
>
>
> Kurt. 

Many modern camcorders can shoot excellent stills. I go along with RFandPfan's suggestion above, and stick with a camcorder if your emphasis is video.

A camcorder's built-in lens is usually faster than a DSLR of an equivalent price, for example, I have a JVC GZ-E100 (paid $100, clearance sale) with a f:1.8. Best you can do with a DSLR without a super duper lens would be f:2.8-3.1. It has saved me many times when the train I was waiting for showed up after the sun went down.

Another big factor is the built-in microphone. While my JVC is lacking in that department, my Canons have great bass response due to bigger speakers, and can record the GEVOs thumping quite nicely. For most DSLRs, the microphone is an afterthought. You can go with an external MIC, but then why get a DSLR if you're going that route?

Your GZ-MS230 records standard definition (480p vertical resolution), and the GC-PX100 you're looking at is HD (1080p), and can record twice the frame rate (60 fps). Video recording format will be different. Depending on what video editor you are using now, you will likely need a complete overhaul of your workflow, which might come with a steep learning curve.

Also consider buying another GZ-MS230 secondhand while you decide. You won't have to change your workflow, and you won't miss a train you want to catch while you learn how to use a new camera.

Date: 04/03/15 19:05
Author: RFandPFan

If interested, I post videos on YouTube, the channel name is GIMRRC.  The files are too large to post on TO.  My latest ones are done with the new digital camera.  Of course, you lose some sharpness and sound quality due to YouTube's compression, but it will give you an idea of how I use it for railfanning.  Hope this info is useful.

Date: 04/06/15 18:20
Author: syscom3

I use the Nikon D5200. Excellent quality in both still and video.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/09/15 14:23
Author: jkurt

Thanks guys for all of your suggestions.  I still haven't picked out one yet but I am planning to shop at Best Buy to see what they have to.  I will let you know when I do purchase one and how it works for my purpose in probably a new thread.

Thanks,

Kurt

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0696 seconds