Home Open Account Help 337 users online

Railfan Technology > Canon Vixia HFS100 external microphone recommendations?

Date: 06/28/15 12:37
Canon Vixia HFS100 external microphone recommendations?
Author: Appalachianrails

I have a Canon Vixia HFS100 video camera and would like to buy an external microphone to deal with the issue of wind noise. What recommendations do some of you guys suggest for my camera? The camera was built in originally with an mini-shoe but I have a mini-to-standard shoe adapter so the type of shoe on the mic isn't an issue.

Date: 06/28/15 14:29
Re: Canon Vixia HFS100 external microphone recommendations?
Author: WoodwardEJ

I use a Canon DM-100 external microphone with my Canon HF G10.  The DM-100 has a furry windscreen and works well to minimize wind noise.  It fits directly into the mini-hotshoe on the Canon HF series cameras.

In addition to the DM-100, B&H also lists the Sennheiser MKE 400, Azden SMX-10, and Audio-Technica Pro-24CM as alternatives.  All three of those have foam windscreens, and all require use of a hot-shoe adapter, such as the one you already have.  The Sennheiser costs a bit more than the Canon DM-100, but the other two are significantly less expensive.

Date: 06/28/15 15:48
Author: Conrailfan1999

I have a rode video mic pro with a dead cat windscreen on my canon hf g30 camcorder. I have found that the built canon mics are actually very good for recording trains because they pick up bass sounds really well. I would go with the Canon dm100 mic but if not looking to spend nearly $200, you can purchase some fake animal fur and velcro it over the mic as a homade dead cat. I am currently testing this out right now and so far I have found it successful.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/15 15:49 by Conrailfan1999.

Date: 06/28/15 15:57
Author: exhaustED

I've got a DM100 on my HF100 using the minishoe attachment and it's a good mic. I was out recently on a very breezy day and the DM100 coped very well with the dead cat on there, without it there would have been no point videoing as the sound would have been unbearable.
One thing to mention, the attachment part of the mic is not very robust i.e. it's a fairly fragile plastic part, just make sure you don't drop it/abuse it - as soon as you've finished videoing, take it off the camcorder. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0394 seconds