Home Open Account Help 348 users online

Railfan Technology > Where Am I ?

Date: 08/03/15 11:42
Where Am I ?
Author: msdgbar

Where was this early 1960s screenshot taken ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/15 11:42 by msdgbar.

Date: 08/03/15 12:23
Re: Where Am I ?
Author: mt19a

West end of Sorrento Valley. Highway 1 overpass in the distance. MP 246

Date: 08/04/15 23:22
Author: ironmtn

I don't know the location, but the ground textures, especially the greenish area in the foreground, sure look like those in one of the train simulators, such as Microsoft Train Simulator (MSTS). Likewise, the rather sharp downward transition from the overpass main span to the approach on the left. The train sims are all still working on making those roadway overpass transitions look smoother.

MC
Columbia, Missouri

Date: 08/05/15 17:04
Author: ronross

Funny looking palm trees!

Posted from Android

Date: 08/05/15 18:09
Author: ironmtn

ronross Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Funny looking palm trees!
>
> Posted from Android

That's because I'm pretty sure that they are train sim palm trees. Trees and other vegetation keeps getting better in all of the sims, and there are some modelers out there who have really worked hard to create some realistic-looking vegetation and trees that run smoothly and don't pull down your frame rate when running in the sim. And the sage brush (or whatever it is) in the foreground is train sim sage too.

Nice image, and the source computer has some good graphics (my compliments) to render it that well, especially in a screen capture where there is typically some loss over what you see when running a train in the sim. But I don't think it's from a real photograph. I've seen that ground cover, those sage brush bushes, and the interesting palm trees too many times in MSTS on one of the desert routes that are out there. But sorry, still not sure of the location, and I don't recall it offhand from either the Cajon, Tehachapi, Needles or Seligman Sub routes that are available out there.

MC
Columbia, Missouri

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/15 18:12 by ironmtn.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0477 seconds