Home Open Account Help 281 users online

Railfan Technology > AOR AR-DV1 Scanner

Date: 09/11/15 21:40
AOR AR-DV1 Scanner
Author: tinytrains

While attending HamCon in Torrance CA today, I stopped by the AOR booth. They have a new all mode scanner that does NXDN plus most other digital modes as well as analog. The rep did not know if would be compatable with RR NXDN, but it probably will be. Not cheap though. $1200.

http://www.aorusa.com/receivers/ar-dv1.html

Anybody tried one?

Scott Schifer
Torrance, CA
TinyTrains Website

Date: 09/12/15 23:04
Re: AOR AR-DV1 Scanner
Author: wa4umr

Haven't used one, or even seen one but AOR has been making high end scanners and receivers for probably 20 years or more.  The stuff isn't really marketed to the general public all that much.  Most of us would want to spend about $150 or less for a scanner.  $1200 is way beyond that, however, I'm sure that it is very capable of receiving railroad communications.  As I understand it, anything that receives NXDN should work.  The differences in systems is the options that one company supports and others may not.  

I looked at the AOR offerings several months ago, both this and an add on device for one of their other receivers.  

John

Date: 09/12/15 23:16
Author: mojaveflyer

I tried an AOR scanner years ago. It was ok but seemed to scan slow.. I finally sold it and in recent years have triedboth Uniden and GRE (now the Whistler brand). Even using soft ware I find the GRE/Whislters easier to program. I never seemed to get the hang of the Uniden thought process for programming. I used Butel software for both Uniden and the GREs.

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 09/13/15 20:54
Author: tinytrains

The good news is they told me the patents on NXDN are no longer enforceable, so we should start seeing more scanners with this.

Scott Schifer
Torrance, CA
TinyTrains Website

Date: 09/13/15 22:24
Author: wa4umr

I forgot about this.  I mentioned it back in the spring.  There is one possibility for an NXDN radio on the horizon.  Alinco was working on a model in the spring that they expected to have on the market by this fall.  After a little searching I found that they have introduced it to the market.  It's about $350, a hand held tranceiver, and it's model DJ-NX40T.   That's the good news.  Now for the bad news.  The model is for the 450 MHz /UHF band.  It was also being developed for the commercial market, IE, "Not a scanner."  The factory rep I talked to said that a VHF model (161 MHz) would be at least a year later.   At $350, it's quite a bit less than the AOR but at this time a VHF model is only dreamware,vaporware, and noware.

John

EDIT:  I did a bit more research on the above product.  Couldn't find hardly anything about it until I discovered an FCC document that mentioned a public release on 16 Sep 2015.  Still, it's a business radio, not a scanner.  It's UHF, not VHF.  It's not field programable.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/15 16:07 by wa4umr.

Date: 10/01/15 05:47
Author: dhb

I believe it doesn't do trunking......

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0494 seconds