Home Open Account Help 337 users online

Railfan Technology > A Place for a Railfan Friend's Photos

Date: 09/18/15 16:05
A Place for a Railfan Friend's Photos
Author: MartyBernard

I am beginning to scan the slides of a diseased railfan friend.  I want to put them somewhere where they are easily accessible to the railfan community and researchers.  I have a Flickr account but want to put his slides in a separate account.  I can't figure out a way to set up a separate Flickr account.

I'm also open to suggestions other than using Flickr.

Thanks,
Marty Bernard

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/15 21:41 by MartyBernard.

Date: 09/18/15 21:13
Re: A Place for a Railfan Friend,s Photos
Author: TCnR

I'm using PBase, there's quite a few other RR themes on there as well.
Same general idea Flicker but a little less social and more photography oriented. also has some privacy controls, different ways of showing a photo, also some control on the collection or Gallery. About 35 bucks a year for a Gig of memory.

http://www.pbase.com/clivew

Select a thumbnail and the Gallery is displayed, pretty straight forward. I have the copy function disabled, there's quite a few options. Also a trial membership available.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/15 21:16 by TCnR.

Date: 09/18/15 21:49

TCnR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm using PBase,

How do people find your pictures unless you tell them? 

I searched the whole site for "GP9" and not one came up.  Some other non-railroad stuff did come up.

Marty Bernard

Date: 09/18/15 23:09

PBase randomly displays photos on one of their pages. I link my Galleries to my TO name, other folks put the link at the bottom of their posts on TO and other sites. I believe something like that can be done on FaceBook as well, but I don't FaceBook. Google is another story, they link to TrainOrders posts, maybe to flicker but I don't think PBase lets them do that.

Eventually links show up on other sites, Historical societies, photo collections etc.  Good point that you have to get them 'out there', links with a historical society is probably the most obvious. Some Societies welcome links, others feel they need to be earned or qualified somehow.

A good example is PhotoBob, he posts a photo and has a link to his photo of the week, often the same photo. Then he posts a photo from Dunsmuir and a link to his website with the same photo of the week, etc. Bob's website does show up on Google and other Search engines.

+should have also said you need to plant a few common descritive words in the text so that whatever search engine is applicable will find your photos. The RR name is a good clue, but not the initials for it. Location names that coincide with RR sidings, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/15 23:17 by TCnR.

Date: 09/19/15 12:38
Re: A Place for a Railfan Friend's Photos
Author: rsanchez

Setup a second account using a different email or setup a seperate folder/album within your account for your friends photos. The folder route is what I did for the images I have from my deceased friend.

MartyBernard Wrote:
> I am beginning to scan the slides of a diseased
> railfan friend.  I want to put them somewhere
> where they are easily accessible to the railfan
> community and researchers.  I have a Flickr
> account but want to put his slides in a separate
> account.  I can't figure out a way to set up a
> separate Flickr account.
>
> I'm also open to suggestions other than using
> Flickr.
>
> Thanks,
> Marty Bernard

Date: 09/21/15 04:45
Author: LV95032

This should work well for you Marty. You can go to Google to set up a different email account. Pbase is difficult to search (like you said) while the various groups and albums on Flickr work well. Thanks for taking the time to scan your friends collection.
Rich

rsanchez Wrote:
> Setup a second account using a different email or
> setup a seperate folder/album within your account
> for your friends photos. The folder route is what
> I did for the images I have from my deceased
> friend.

Date: 09/21/15 10:58

Making the collection search friendly would be the key. The morning news was showing how Google searches a number of databases looking for faces, then sends them to you so you can arrange them by relatives or friends names. Wonder if they can search by roadname.

The Barringer Library is on flicker. It might be worthwhile checking that out and also how well other folks can access it. for example schools and colleges, not just folks on TO. Collections of home photos that have useable key words in the descriptions are very interesting, I guess that's what Flicker is all about.

Just for clarity, I tried a couple of key word searches on Google and added 'pbase'. My Galleries showed up and also a number of websites that have linked to my site. So I guess Google does search PBase. PBase also has their own search engine, but you still need to have a useful key word.

Date: 09/21/15 11:25

Thanks for your aditional comments.

I looked at The Barringer Library on Flickr.  I don't see that they are doing anything special that doesn't come automatically with Flickr.

Marty Bernard

Date: 09/26/15 04:44
Author: BN7149

If I were your position, I would create a new album under my flickr account for his photos. Labeling the album as "his" photos and crediting him appropriately in the description would seem adequate and far easier than having to manage an additional account.

-Ryan

Date: 12/02/15 21:07
Author: TheCurator

With 50mb of webspace why not create a site here for his photos?

Here's mine, for an example:

http://members.trainorders.com/thecurator/photogallery.html

Date: 12/02/15 23:00

Are those at as high a resolution as is possible? I'd want it higher.   I don't see that it is searcable. We are talking maybe 20,000 slides.   50mb izs pretty small.

Marty Bernard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/15 23:01 by MartyBernard.

Date: 12/07/15 21:24
Author: TheCurator

That many slides...yeah, 50mb won't quite do it.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.176 seconds