Home Open Account Help 275 users online

Railfan Technology > Repair of Pile marker lights

Date: 12/28/15 07:56
Repair of Pile marker lights
Author: jjd0618psd

I have some old PILE Electric  Caboose markler lights  They needs some wiring repairs.  Does anyone know what voltage these lights operated on?  I would like to repair them and install them outside my residence. 

Date: 12/28/15 08:32
Re: Repair of Pile marker lights
Author: radar

I don't know the answer to your question, but I would approach the problem differently.  The operating voltage is determined entirely by the type of lamp used.  I would adapt the lights to use lamps of a convenient voltage.  Chances are that you can find lamps to fit that run on 120 Volts.  If not, change the sockets.  Just make sure the internal wiring is new, and the the insulation can handle operating temperatures.

Date: 12/28/15 09:45
Author: 2720

Most railcars such as cabooses and passenger cars were 32 volt or 64 volt systems,
from batteries, passenger cars had axle driven generators to recharge the batteires!

Some cabooses were later modified to use 12 volts from axle driven generators.

Mike

Date: 12/29/15 05:56
Author: Ray_Murphy

OT, but some history about Pyle National can be found here:

http://www.trainweb.org/gyra/history.htm

Date: 01/01/16 20:54
Author: DrLoco

I'd just go with 12v turn signal bulbs...easy to find at your local auto parts store...

Date: 01/08/16 11:05
Author: spnudge

Contact GE. They have std base bulbs for just about every voltage and wattage. All kinds of bases too.  I use a 220 volt bulb in my switch stand marker outside and run it on 120 volts. Its going on its 6 year of being on all the time.

Nudge

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0297 seconds