Home Open Account Help 357 users online

Railfan Technology > Camera Battery Question

Date: 01/31/16 13:06
Camera Battery Question
Author: ns2557

Not really knowing where else to go and knowing the extent of the knowledge here on TO, Hope I can can get an answer.

My wife has one of those what I call "Point and Shoot" Digital camera's. It's a  Canon SX160 IS 16MPX. The camera takes 2 "AA" type batteries. We had re chargeables in it but someone , not sure who, took them out at one point. Since then we have used Duracell/Energizer/etc type batteries.  After about 10 or so shots, the camera tells her the batteries are low and need to be replaced. They won't take any shot's after  this and I am at a loss as to what might be going on. I have asked her if she uses the camera for "video" which I know she does now and then, but for the most part, it's just what I call everyday use.  And btw, this is not the first time we have had this issue with these type camera's. So anyone have any idea's as to what might be happening here?   Thanks for any insight.  Ben

Date: 01/31/16 13:28
Re: Camera Battery Question
Author: mojaveflyer

When I first started to shoot digital, the first camera I had used AAs. I had trouble with the alkaline batteries doing the same thing. I switched to lithium batteries and got better life out of the batteries. Eventually I went to rechargable AA batteries and got a charger that woud charge 4 at a time off of Amazon.com.

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 01/31/16 15:56
Author: hoggerdoug

My first point and shoot years ago was a Cannon PowerShot 85, even with premium AA batteries such as Duracell, best I could do was 100 shots. Bought the proper Cannon rechargeable batteries (4) and charger, got at least 400 shots on two batteries.  Doug

Date: 01/31/16 18:55
Author: trainjunkie

"10 or so shots" is far too few for a fresh pair of even the cheapest AAs. Something is wrong. Are you sure they are fresh? Is it unusually cold? Are these shots using the flash?

Date: 01/31/16 21:15
Author: BRAtkinson

It's very possible that the wrong charger was used with the batteries.  The 'quick charge' devices may harm some batteries, especially if recharged frequently.

Most professional photographers rave about the Eneloop rechargeables.  They hold a charge far better than comparable batteries.  I've used them in my Canon point-and-shoots (I have several that I loan out for various group projects), external camera flash for my DSLR, flash lights, scanners, and even camping/emergency radios for maybe 8-9 years now.  Can't beat them!  In my flash, they recycle almost instantly for 100 flashes, still fast recycle for the next 100 or so, then slow down a tad for another 200, then they 'drop off' fast, so it's time to change them.  The same in my AAA and AA flashlights.  They are ideally suited for non-continous duty cycles, but as my work flashlight, I'd get about a week of using it 30-40 times per night, 3-10 minutes each use, before it was time to put in a fresh set.  My scanner could go 4 or 5 'shifts' of 4-5 hours continuous duty before needing to be changed out.
Eneloops at Amazon

Date: 02/01/16 06:57
Author: joemvcnj

Small cameras that use AA batteries are very sensitive to battery strength. They need to be at least 2200ma. These cameras also often have faulty sensors indicating a battery is weak when it is fine. I also find my small Canon is constantly having to re-focus itself to avoid blurring and useless from a moving vehicle. My Motorola Smartphone takes better pictures and video and has none of these issues.

Date: 02/01/16 19:48
Author: cchan006

ns2557 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So anyone have any
> idea's as to what might be happening here?  
> Thanks for any insight.  Ben

Alkaline batteries (the Energizer/Duracell/etc you mentioned) do not handle high current drain as well as the rechargeables, namely NiMH and Lithium Ion batteries. While AA Alkaline battery has a capaity of ~2500 mAh, it often won't last as long as NiMH batteries of slight lower capacity, ( 2200 mAh, for example) in a typical digital camera. 

While my old Olympus point-n-shoot's behavior wasn't as bad as only 10 shots, the battery life was short enough with Alkalines that I did some research on battery behavior, and learned about how batteries handle current drain. I won't  go into more detail for now, but it involves Chemistry more than electricity. Use the Alkalines for emergency only - at least, you can buy them almost anywhere. Always use the rechargeables as your primary set of batteries.

Date: 02/01/16 19:56
Author: SN711

We have had a myriad of point and shoot digital cameras over the years. One in particular was very hard on the battery. The battery did not last very long so you had to always have a spare ready to go. These were the alkaline CR-V batteries,!so there was really only one choice of battery type. But I could get a lot more than 10 photos.

I would suggest trying a decent pair of new rechargeable batteries that have a high mA out put capability. Look at the batteries closely because they are not all the same. If this doesn't help, then there is something wrong with the camera and you may want to think about buying a new one.

Gary

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/02/16 09:59
Author: ns2557

Guy's Thanks for all the replies. Went out and got some new rechargables for her camera. NIMH variety for now. So far these seem to be doing a whole lot better. Not that I lay blame on her for battry issues, but all she understood was that it took 2 AA types for it to work, hence forth some of the issues. She read the replies here asked me a few ?'s and seems to have a lot better understanding on this matter now.  So thanks again for the replies.  Ben

Date: 02/16/16 19:54
Author: ChooChooDennis

If I may, does she have a late model smart phone? I would use that rather than a 5-10 year old P&S. Late model smart phones have better image quality, longer life, are simpler to use and she can instantly share the pictures with family and freinds. Plus all the photos are with her for her to show off anytime.

Dennis Livesey
New York, NY

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0593 seconds