Home Open Account Help 349 users online

Railfan Technology > Windows 10. Negative option (for now?) update.

Date: 02/03/16 10:45
Windows 10. Negative option (for now?) update.
Author: K3HX

Date: 02/03/16 19:29
Re: Windows 10. Negative option (for now?) update.
Author: Auburnrail

Thanks for that information. Love my Windows 7!
George Andrassy

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/05/16 11:20
Author: TAW

I had MS repeatedly offer to upgrade my 8.2 box. I wasn't happy with 8.2 but wasn't about to change OS and suffer the expected consequences (stuff doesn't work, software isn't compatible, etc.). One morning, I told it no again and went off to a meeting. When I got back, 10 was installed. I had lockup problems that turned out to be software incompatibility. Stuff I used regularly no longer worked. I had the computer lock up and not let me past the lock screen until rebooting a half dozen times. Research indicates thgat these are all known problems. It appears that installation of 10 whether you want it or not is also a known problem.

TAW

Date: 02/05/16 18:42
Author: TCnR

Haven't had to try it but MS says it can be removed within 30 days.

It is a pain and there is a lot of S/W that doesn't work with W10. Also heard about licenses being an issue. W7 is great, leave mine alone Bill.

Date: 02/05/16 19:08
Author: RustyRayls

I never had ANY problems with W7 Pro on both my laptop and my desktop. I let MicroSlop con me into switching to W10 Pro by saying that they planned to stop supporting anything but W10. I have had nothing but problems with W10. Most of them didn't start until the 30 day "go back" period had expired. MicroSlop knows about all of the problems but they don't seem to be in any hurry to do anything about them. Windows 10 SUCKS!! And so does MicroSoft!!!!!!

Old Bob out in Lost Wages

Date: 02/05/16 19:29
Author: BRAtkinson

For those whose computers haven't upgraded themselves to Windows 10 yet, there's a free Windows 10 upgrade blocker at Free Win 10 Blocker Here  I've put it on all 3 of my Windows 7 machines and it works well.

Date: 02/06/16 05:45
Author: robj

I have slow Internet so I have disabled auto update downloads and go to the library every now and then to do so.  At that point I can choose those I want.
What I read doing this stops any auto Windows 10 downloads.

Bob

Date: 02/06/16 08:57
Author: Amtrak288

Been using Windows 10 Professional on my new computer I built back in November, installed it on a clean new hard drive and so far haven't had any serious issues and it actually installed rather quickly!  The privacy settings take up a whopping 13 pages but if you're concered about Microsoft knowing more about you than you know about yourself, then it's easy to adjust the settings on those pages.  I'm still able to back up the entire C: Drive using Acronis True Image and all my software still runs on it perfectly including one piece of software I use that was designed for of all things, Windows 95!!!  You can easily stop it from automatically installing on your computer by removing certain Windows Updates and also disabling Automatic Updates as others have said.  A simple Google search will help you figure out what updates to remove.  I was having this issue with being nagged to update my old computer which I had no plans to do so since I was retiring it anyway. 

Date: 02/24/16 23:17
Author: up833

My 11 year old grandson downloaded 10 to my wifes desktop, replacing windows 7.  Not one problem..Works fine. Mostly she has not loaded up the computer with software that didnt come on the machine.
Roger Beckett

Date: 02/28/16 08:03
Author: x1sspic

I have a Lenovo touchscreen ultrabook that I upgraded to Windows 10 (from Windows 8) early on, and found to be a relatively smooth process.  I held out, but eventually upgraded my desktop and was pleasantly surprised with how well that went.  Even some of the older software meant for older versions of windows still worked.  

My only gripe is the windows update process - specifically the automatic reboot and installation of updates.  I use my desktop in continuous duty (radio recording, streaming etc) and have had it reboot unbeknownst to me a few times now, with subsequent loss of data in some of the programs that I run continuously.  

Date: 02/28/16 08:08
Author: BAB

Oh well one day soon will update mine to ten like Micro Soft as all of there programs that I buy to use are user friendly unlike other brands after trying to figure them out. Other half has ten with NO problems think that most are from odd ball programs that others install.

Date: 03/03/16 16:10
Author: Mgoldman

BRAtkinson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For those whose computers haven't upgraded
> themselves to Windows 10 yet, there's a free
> Windows 10 upgrade blocker at Free Win 10 Blocker
> Here  I've put it on all 3 of my Windows 7
> machines and it works well.

Wait, what?

I keep getting a Windows 10 "Upgrade for free" popup,
but simply close it.  Is there a rsk of it self installing?

I have Windows 8 which works as well, if not better
then 7 ever did, and I set it to emulate the look and
function so it's like a steadier, but not perfect version
of 7.  Then again, my biggest issues these days seem
to be Mozilla Firefox crashing.

/Mitch

Date: 03/03/16 17:14
Author: TCnR

Yes. It's something to pay attention to.

Later in the year MS expects everyone to already have W10. btw W10 includes automatic updates with no opt-out. If you try W10, after 30 days you can't go back to W8 or W7, but I don't want to experiment. If you use Auto-updates for W7 I would think it will auto-update to W10. There is a lot of discussion about it on Techy boards, most of them either agree or very disagree.

The most common oddball program for most of us is PhotoShop, which has specifc licenses and support requirements. I don't know what the specifics are, I do know upgrading to W7 meant I needed to buy a new version of PSE. The old version of PSE was more fun than the new version, although they tell me it's better.

My Employer uses a number of W7 based programs and has told us specifically not to upgrade to W10, Cisco Easy-Connect being the main concern. I've heard talk about graphics drivers being a surprise as well. MS likes to contract out applications, so they could just cancel the old ones and issue new applications, automatically. I haven't added the W10 upgrade site to my firewall but am considering it.

-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Wait, what?
>
> I keep getting a Windows 10 "Upgrade for free"
> popup,
> but simply close it.  Is there a rsk of it self
> installing?
>
>

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1116 seconds