Home Open Account Help 328 users online

Railfan Technology > Information on train accident just in time. Is it possible?

Date: 04/24/16 17:05
Information on train accident just in time. Is it possible?
Author: pedrop

I opened this thread here since I did not find a specific Section for it.

After some accidents in railroads in Brazil with serious injury to the crew, I am wondering if there is any kind of electronic device that send message to CTc or other train control system to inform the locomotive suffered an accident. I work in the aviation industry where we have special devices that send message to satelites to inform about accident, but I do not know if the rail industry have equipment like these.

Pedro

Pedro Rezende
Vespasiano MG,

Date: 04/25/16 12:57
Re: Information on train accident just in time. Is it possible?
Author: JUTower

Yes, there are vendors that sell add-on equipment for monitoring locomotives, e.g. with GPS, and can monitor things like speed, fuel levels, etc.  Some of these vendors also include accelerometers which can detect hard couplings as well as tip-overs and other activity that could indicate that a severe accident had taken place.

wi-tronix.com
lat-lon.com
are two that come to mind.

-Alex

Date: 04/25/16 16:37
Author: pedrop

Hi Alex
thanks for The links. I took a look on them. Very interesting. A friend from VLI railroad contacted me for a help with a system to monitoring locomotives during accidents and I think these companies you mentioned could help.
Many thanks
Pedro
jalang Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, there are vendors that sell add-on equipment
> for monitoring locomotives, e.g. with GPS, and can
> monitor things like speed, fuel levels, etc. 
> Some of these vendors also include accelerometers
> which can detect hard couplings as well as
> tip-overs and other activity that could indicate
> that a severe accident had taken place.
>
> wi-tronix.com
> lat-lon.com
> are two that come to mind.
>
> -Alex

Pedro Rezende
Vespasiano MG,
https://youtube.com/c/minasgeraisrailways1

Date: 04/26/16 09:55
Author: TCnR

Reminds me of the tragic Air France Rio to Paris Flight that encountered a storm mid-Atlantic and went down with all souls on board. The Company computer was max'ing out with telemetry alerts about cabin pressure and open door defects before the Flight was known to be lost. At the time there was no clear connection between the Telemetry and the magnitude of the situation. The route has large areas without ground based RADAR and Ait to Ground Communications due to distances and the particular Countries that were the closest, Telemetry was apparently relayed by Satellite.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0364 seconds