Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Railfan Technology > iPads and posting.

Date: 07/13/16 09:09
iPads and posting.
Author: britchie

When I transfer images from my digital cameras(not my iphone) to my iPad it will not alow me to post them to TO, it tells me they are the wrong format. Is there a way around this? It used to work but seems to have lost this capability.
Thanks, Bob

Bob Ritchie
Chase, BC

Date: 07/13/16 10:05
Re: iPads and posting.
Author: trainjunkie

Date: 07/13/16 10:12
Author: fbe

Are they saved as .jpg or .jpeg on the extension? That may have a difference.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/13/16 10:26
Author: TrainordersSupport

As fbe mentioned already, make sure that your images are saved with the .jpg extension and NOT the .jpeg extension.

Some members report that they are able to upload photos from their mobile devices when using the standard version of the website instead of the mobile version.  You can change that in your Forum Options to the standard forum index view.  To do so, login and go to Forum Options in the member login menu, located toward the upper left side of the website.  At the bottom of the Forum Options list, you will see the selection "Use the mobile template when using a supported mobile device". Click on the drop-down menu next to that option and select No. Then click on the Submit button at the bottom of the page.

Chris Toth
Trainorders.com Support

Date: 07/13/16 11:45
Author: trainjunkie

Easier said than done. I can't find any way to edit the extension in the iOS device. There are some third-party image conversion apps but they require an internet connection to function, plus I don't even know if they will simply convert the file name from .jpeg to .jpg. BTW, once you download the file to a computer, it will have the .jpg extension. But on either the iOS device or iCloud, it is .jpeg.

BTW, I use the standard version of TO on both of my iOS devices (as opposed to the mobile version) and it makes no difference with this issue. I cannot post images from either of them.

Even though this is a "stupid Apple trick", it seems like it would be beneficial for TO to make .jpeg files an allowed file type. This is a recurring problem and there is a huge iOS user base.

Date: 07/14/16 22:33
Author: drgwfan1

I agree and find TO limiting in not addressing IOS users

Date: 07/16/16 00:57
Author: MrMRL

This has been a known problem for close to a couple years now... For Apple iOS users, I think it occurred when Apple updated their mobile devices to iOS 8 in late 2014. For whatever reason (data saving, power saving, future trending) Apple changed their image saving format to ".jpeg" and also amended any and all images edited through a mobile device with the file name standard "fullsizerender.jpeg" these two tweaks to the software have been grieving mobile device users across the board. This is not just a Trainorders.com issue.

The four character "jpeg" extension is rejected by many servers expecting to receive the more standard (PC) three character "jpg" name. Also the "fullsizerender" attatchment to file names will often confuse and trick uploading software into duplicating files within a post, displaying multiple copies of a single edited image, rather than the three different files intended for upload.

I do not know if it is even possible for the Trainorders site code to be amended to include both jpg and jpeg formats. So many online discussions try to say the two extensions are or should be interchangeable, but obviously this is not the case. I have yet to find a suitable mobile app that correctly can convert an image from jpeg to jpg, they all seem to think the jpeg format is already a jpg. Yeah, it's frustrating... After hundreds of successful uploads of pictures snapped from my iPhone in 2012-2014, I have been unable to do so now since updating to iOS8 and beyond. Even worse... When copying a perfectly viewable jpg image already online from my iPhone, the same stupid iOS software saves the image and changes the extension to jpeg! Thus making it unusable to reupload back to the web!

Mr. MRL - typed on my iPhone 6 Plus running iOS 9.3.2

Date: 07/16/16 07:19
Author: webmaster

We are preparing a minor server upgrade to fix some security issues and I am going to see if we can add this fix in then.

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 07/17/16 19:28
Author: ATSF2324

It sure would be great if we could once again post from our iPad.  I'd sure like to post the photos of the Batten Kill RR from a few weeks ago, but I'm just not near the Mac....

Gus
not currently home.... 

Date: 07/17/16 22:53
Author: fbe

What size are the photos you are trying to post from the i equipment? If i wanted to post photos from my Windows phone they would be too large for TO. These are from a 20 mpix camera and are more than 1000 pix wide. They need to be resized and stashed in a folder. Also the software needs to have an attach file to the outgoing post.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/18/16 16:31
Author: ATSF2324

When might we see this fix?

Gus

Date: 07/21/16 15:52
Author: britchie

Thanks for the info, I feel a little better knowing it's not just me. 

Bob Ritchie
Chase, BC

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0653 seconds