Home Open Account Help 261 users online

Railfan Technology > Electronics Ban on Aircraft

Date: 05/09/17 11:53
Electronics Ban on Aircraft
Author: andersonb109

This is my first time posting on this Discussion so forgive it this is the wrong place. Many of us fly overseas for railway photography. And carry thousands of dollars or equipment with us. I always carry mine on the aircraft as I don't trust my bag to end up where it's suppose to. I can live without some clean clothes but not the cameras. So I see this afternoon on Fox News that the government is now thinking about extending the ban on electronics in carry ons, specifically lap tops but could include other devices on flights from Europe to the U.S. This is already in effect from several middle eastern airports. So if this happens, how does one get their equipment to the photo event safety? I'm all about security but there must be some way like the TSA Pre-Check we have here to pass some sort of screening so they know I'm not going to blow up the plane. Even if the camera bag ends up at the proper destination, I see how luggage is handled and have no confidence the equipment wouldn't be damaged in the process. Thoughts?

Date: 05/09/17 13:19
Re: Electronics Ban on Aircraft
Author: LiveWire2

FedEx/UPS/DHL

Date: 05/10/17 07:59
Author: 55002

I can only assume 'Livewire' has never seen couriers throwing parcels around. Absolutely the last people I would trust with camera gear. I've not heard of any thoughts on extending the ban, but if it comes to it, on my next flight to the US from Europe it would have to checked baggage. There really is no alternative. Chris uk.

Date: 05/10/17 10:28
Author: 3rdboxcar

I have heard comments from an airline security type person who says it will be inevitable in the future that all flights will not allow any electronic devices in the cabin.She also added that the airlines will have to up their game on proper baggage handling to accommodate this.

As to couriers handling your equipment, I repair thermal print heads, cost about $5000.00 each, they are securely packaged in special foam, when the courier picks them up for delivery he throws them into the back of his van in front of us, so what they do when we cannot see, the mind boggles.

Alexander

Date: 05/10/17 14:55
Author: Ray_Murphy

3rdboxcar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have heard comments from an airline security
> type person who says it will be inevitable in the
> future that all flights will not allow any
> electronic devices in the cabin.She also added
> that the airlines will have to up their game on
> proper baggage handling to accommodate this.

Some airlines are moving away from installed In-Flight Entertainment systems, preferring that customers rely on their own personal electronic devices instead.

Ray

Date: 05/10/17 15:24
Author: NormSchultze

There is some speculation that explosives can be hidden in on board electronics. Maybe, Maybe not. But putting your camera and laptop in the hold won't be a solution, UNLESS the bin is constructed to contain an explosion. That's not a simple matter.

Far simpler is a scenario that requires everything to transit a sniffer type device.

And let's not forget that the current ban from certain airports and carriers also has a business component. AA and UAL have been grousing for-almost-ever that the Emirates Airline(s) are heavily governmentally subsidized.

All in all, it's complicated and has multiple levels.

Date: 05/10/17 21:04
Author: RayH

Personally, I don't foresee a problem. I'm still using film cameras and never have any hassles getting them and my film hand checked by TSA.

Date: 05/12/17 16:56
Author: chakk

The laptop ban inside cabins is already in effect on many intra-European flights, as well as those from certain Middle Eastern countries.

Date: 08/19/17 16:44
Author: SD45X

Big game hunters routinely ship their guns ahead of the safari.
If you have a guided tour maybe it could be a solution?

Oh yeah. Seen the throwing. Pack in a padded cutout case.

Date: 08/19/17 18:05
Author: BRAtkinson

As a former package handler at a large hub sorting facility for a world wide package delivery company, I can tell you first hand there is no such thing as 'fragile' package handling. If it isn't the packages being thrown, they are being 'tipped over' as a 'wall' of packages in a trailer for unloading (that's the way they are supposed to be loaded...walls of boxes with small packages put in the nooks and crannies). I've even witnessed overhead conveyor belt jams where the belts had to be stopped, and workers go 'up top' and drop the 'offending' packages to the concrete floor 15-20' below. And, of course, the automatic sorting machinery isn't always 'gentle' when 'directing' a package moving 15-16mph on a belt to go down a particular chute at a 90 degree angle from the belt.

It all comes down to proper packaging. And for what it's worth, I've bought cameras, lenses, and even tablet computers and laser shooting equipment from well known major dealers that use the 'usual' carriers. All have arrived without defect. All were very well packed, too.

Date: 09/16/17 11:41
Author: sums007

3rdboxcar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have heard comments from an airline security
> type person who says it will be inevitable in the
> future that all flights will not allow any
> electronic devices in the cabin.She also added
> that the airlines will have to up their game on
> proper baggage handling to accommodate this.
>
> As to couriers handling your equipment, I repair
> thermal print heads, cost about $5000.00 each,
> they are securely packaged in special foam, when
> the courier picks them up for delivery he throws
> them into the back of his van in front of us, so
> what they do when we cannot see, the mind
> boggles.
>
> Alexander

I hope the security type airline person has told American Airlines. They're not ordering IFE on their recent equipment order [B737Max?]because they say most passengers now have their own on their device.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/17 11:42 by sums007.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0691 seconds