Home Open Account Help 385 users online

Railfan Technology > Last roll of Ektachrome VS! :(

Date: 05/25/17 21:02
Last roll of Ektachrome VS! :(
Author: railwaybaron

I used-up my last roll of Ektachrome VS recently on the RBBB Circus Train--bummer. I still like taking slides. Any suggestions on Fujichromes--aka "The Green Death"? Color quality is more important than speed to me--I shoot lots of roster shots. Thanks in advance!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/17 21:03 by railwaybaron.

Date: 05/25/17 21:18
Re: Last roll of Ektachrome VS! :(
Author: Valleyman

I was a Kodachrome 25 shooter until the very end! Tried Kodachrome 64 and hated it. Someone suggested Fuji Provia 100. Love it. I no longer miss the 25! Order mine from B&H photo. Attached is a scanned 100F slide. Guess the location?

Valleyman

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/17 21:20 by Valleyman.

Date: 05/25/17 22:46
Author: railwaybaron

Good shot, however as a K25 man I can see the difference with Fuji...that red nose looks a bit faded. But still better than zero. Thanks, Tom

Date: 05/26/17 03:47
Author: Ray_Murphy

railwaybaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good shot, however as a K25 man I can see the
> difference with Fuji...that red nose looks a bit
> faded. But still better than zero. Thanks, Tom

You're aware, of course, that there's a completely new color balance/brightness/contrast process going on when a slide is scanned.

Ray

Date: 05/26/17 10:59
Author: acltrainman

Switched to Fuji Provia as K25 was going away. Never looked back and a ASA of 100 was super. No longer shooting slides and now only digital.

Stanley Jackowski
Valrico, FL

Date: 05/26/17 17:16
Author: seod

I went to Provia 100F when KM25 was killed. I really got used to the extra 2 stops of speed I was using settings on my Nikon I had never used before. I think the Provia 100F was sharper than the 25 a very good film. As for colors no film or digi is perfect all have a slant to something or other. I never really cared for 64 either so it was not a option. When the price of film and processing reached .50 cents per slide I got priced out of shooting. That is when I went full time digi. I already had a Nikon D80 which I liked so it was a easy decision more or less. I still think slide film is better but I could no longer afford film especially when I would go out for a weekend and shoot 7 or 8 rolls which would cost about $130+. I will say I do experiment more with digi than I ever did with film if it does not work the delete button will fix it.
I just looked at B&H and the Provia 100F and processing is now about $23 so about .60 cents per shot.

The Provia 100F is a great film with mostly natural colors and it is very sharp.

Scott O'Dell

Date: 05/26/17 17:36
Author: ble692

Valleyman Wrote:
> Guess the location?

UP Fresno Sub, milepost 104.75 or so. Taken from the Hammett Rd overpass.

Date: 05/26/17 23:53
Author: wpamtk

I've been shooting Provia 100 ever since Kodachrome went away. I really like it, but it currently costs me $25 to get a roll developed. Just as well that "It's all crap now."

Date: 05/27/17 11:24
Author: Valleyman

ble692 Wrote:
> Valleyman Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Guess the location?
>
> UP Fresno Sub, milepost 104.75 or so. Taken from
> the Hammett Rd overpass.

Good job ble692! These run through grain trains were all over the Valley a few years ago. Salida, CA city location.

Date: 05/29/17 06:58
Author: qnyla

Or wait a few months. Kodak announced they are bringing Ektachrome back from the dead.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/news/ces-2017-kodak-brings-back-ektachrome-color-reversal-film

Should be available Fall 2017.

Date: 05/29/17 22:44
Author: wpamtk

I mulled that over when I first heard about it, but I can't really find a reason to switch from Provia. It will be interesting to see how it plays out, however.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0586 seconds