Home Open Account Help 357 users online

Railfan Technology > Nikon

Date: 11/06/17 21:06
Nikon
Author: Frisco1522

I think my Nikon D70 outfit is going belly up on me. Wonder what new body (not top of the line) my lenses would be useful on, along with the external flash I paid a ton for.

Date: 11/07/17 03:51
Re: Nikon
Author: kgmontreal

I'd recommend the Nikon D7500.

KG

Date: 11/07/17 06:39
Author: Auburn_Ed

And I would recommend a (good) used D-90. Lots of upgrades (mega-pix and screen size) for next to nothing. Check the shutter count.

ED

Date: 11/07/17 06:51
Author: NormSchultze

You may want to consider a refurbished 750, if you can find one. Other reviews of Nikons are at www.dpreview.com.

Date: 11/07/17 06:58
Author: LiveWire2

D70 was a crop sensor body, so your lenses may not be compatible with the full-frame bodies. If you have "DX" lenses for crop sensor bodies, then you should look at the D7200, D7500, and D500, depending on what features are important to you and what your price point is. These will provide the greatest lens compatibility. You can only use the lesser bodies (3000 and 5000 series) if your lenses are "AF-S" with the focusing motor built in.

Date: 11/07/17 07:32
Author: Thumper

As somebody who has taken a major step backwards (in the opinion of some)
I purchased a refurbished by Nikon D90 a few weeks ago.
Had disposed of my D800, D750 combination and assorted lenses.

And you may ask why. I have had increasing mobility issues, due to major illness
and the FX Nikons although wonderful were too damn heavy.

Have no love for the new mirror less cameras (nor the money, they are damned
expensive here in Canada) and with the lack of personal mobility a marked reduction
in the amount of digital photography.

For those situations where even the D90 with an 24-105 lens (only)
is too heavy, found a nice operational Canon G15 from KEH.

Albeit by the time it arrive at my residence in Canada due to shipping, exchange
rate US -> Canadian dollar as well duty and taxes it was more
expensive that the aforementioned D90. This shall serve
as my "pocket" camera for those times am far to shaky to even
think of carrying the D90.

I realize too at some point
shall not carry any photographic device; account age, increasing mobility problems as well
as a loss of interest as things are they were forty years or more ago. Slide images
are still preferred; however the lack of reliable E-6 processing close to where live
sort of kills that idea. I could use Dwayne's stateside however monetary exchange rates
makes that just too expensive

Date: 11/07/17 13:45

OK the camera is downstairs and I'm too lazy to look. How do you find out how many shots?
This thing keeps telling me "This card cannot be used" or something like that. Also says "cha". Won't fire with any of my cards, even though I've formatted them in the camera. It has sat for a good while without using. I think the flash is an SB300 and was expensive. The lenses are autofocus, but not vibration resistant, which makes the telephoto useless to me since I can't hand hold a long lens that steady any more.
I use a Canon XS1 IS quite a bit, even though its not a DSLR. Good little camera and takes decent video. Also have been using a couple of old Olympus 4 and 5MP for model photography. It just aggravates me to have this camera and can't use it.

Date: 11/07/17 14:30
Author: WrongMain

Take a look at Nikon's website. You can check out all the DX cameras there and make up your mind how much camera do you want and how much do you want to pay for it. I have a D3200 to go along with my D600 and am quite impressed with the little guy. 24mp is a bonus in a camera body that costs less than $500. Don't forget to check out Nikon's refurbished cameras on the website, too. These cameras are as good as new, and sometimes even better!

Date: 11/07/17 16:48

Right now I'm looking on the unnamed auction site for a used body. Several on there for $75 or less. Its an old enough model that it doesn't bring much. Its also got the "sticky" syndrome.

Date: 11/07/17 20:42
Author: anthracite

Frisco1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Its also got the "sticky" syndrome.

What do you mean by that phrase?

Date: 11/08/17 05:57
Author: HRGXguy

Simple suggestion from a former D70 user (had two of 'em) - go into the settings and set the shutter to fire without a card in the slot...this would let you verify that everything else is working correctly.
See Page 143 in the D70 manual for how to do this: In the Custom Settings Menu, option 6 is called No CF Card? Select the second choice: Enable Release allows the shutter to release even without a CF card in the slot.

Perhaps you have already done this.

HRGXguy

Date: 11/08/17 07:05

If you google Nikon D70,you'll find many items about the "sticky" finish on the handgrip, etc. Must have been a universal problem.
I just bought a used body only from KEH on that infamous auction site. Since I don't carry this as a "daily shooter" I will be happy to get another body that works so I don't have to give away my Nikon Telephoto lens and expensive flash. Cheapest way out on this one. I'll sell the old one for "parts or repair" only.

Date: 11/08/17 12:16

Just went over it with a fine toothed comb and see that one of the pins in the card receptacle is broken off. How the hell does that happen? The card is perfectly aligned when you insert it. Dammit. When the body gets here that I bought and works OK, I'll tear this thing apart and see what makes it tick. Dammit.

Date: 11/08/17 12:59
Author: HRGXguy

The broken pin in the card slot is why I try to NEVER remove the CF card unless it's full, and there are more trains on their way....
IMHO, always download photos using the USB cable - the receptacle in the camera body is much harder to break.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with your D70. If you can find a body with relatively low shutter count, that's way cheaper than trying to fix yours.

HRGXguy,
It's been a long time since I started taking pictures with my Canon AT-1...

Date: 11/08/17 14:26
Author: seod

To check the shutter count you need to look in your photo processor program most have it. I still use Google Picasa and when you click on the show/hide properties button near the bottom will be a note that list your shutter actuations. I have a D7100 that has over 35,000. My old D80 before I replaced it with the D7100 had about 28,000 no where near wore out.

On the auction site most decent sellers will list the shutter count in the auction information. When I dropped my D7100 I was thinking about replacing it with a used one. They were about $600 with about 10,000 shutter actuations. So it was cheaper and better to just get it fixed for me.

Scott O'Dell

Date: 11/08/17 14:47

I guess I'll stand by until the body I bought shows up. I hope somebody didn't empty their ashtray in side on the screen or it doesn't have dead pixels. Can't have nothin nice.

Date: 11/11/17 15:47

Got the body from KEHoutlet today and all is well. Just looked on Google and found out how to pull out the CF card slot. I'll do that but don't know where to get another one. I could maybe improvise and replace the broken pin also. Nothing much to lose now.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0484 seconds