Home Open Account Help 283 users online

Railfan Technology > Radio scanner recommendations?

Date: 12/28/17 15:53
Radio scanner recommendations?
Author: walstib

I’m looking for recommendations for a new radio.

I’ve been using an FT-270 with a long antenna, and it has worked great, but it’s showing its age, the numbers are worn off the buttons, and so forth.

I don’t really need something that scans multiple frequencies at once, as I’m usually just tuned to the local road frequency.

I guess I could just get the latest version of the FT-270. But I’m looking for recommendations.

What do you think?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/28/17 16:46
Re: Radio scanner recommendations?
Author: TCnR

Find a HAM shop to put a new keypad into the FT-270. If they do go NXDN you be doing well to get the extra mileage out of the original investment...and accessories.

Only other comment wouldbe something with the EOT/DPU frequencies. FT-60r does that but doesn't have the same audio output as the FT-270. I believe ICOM has a model that has both frequency bands and good audio.

Date: 12/28/17 19:17
Author: WW

Please do a search on the umpteen posts that I and others have made on this subject. It has been covered many, many times.

Date: 12/28/17 20:34
Author: TCnR

The more popular general purpose tri-band scanner seems to the Uniden BC125AT.

Here's one of the more interesting posts with general discussion about radio scanners models, but there's a lot more:

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?9,4348893,4351992#msg-4351992

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/17 20:42 by TCnR.

Date: 12/31/17 19:42
Author: mopac1978

A Baofeng BF-F8HP is a great deal for a cheap radio if scanning isn't needed (it scans at the snail rate of about 3 channels per sec.). It will monitor two channels at once, and its small size makes it an easy radio to carry. Around $60 on Amazon, other model Baofengs go for as little as $25 bucks.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0347 seconds