Home Open Account Help 383 users online

Railfan Technology > Question about refurbished desktop PC

Date: 02/27/18 10:42
Question about refurbished desktop PC
Author: Englewood

My desktop PC has gone bad after 7 years.
I was using Adobe Acrobat X Pro and Photoshop Elements 10 on it.

From what I understand neither of those programs work with Windows 10.

I was thinking of getting a refurbished desktop that still runs Windows 7.
I don't want to pay Adobe the monthly fee they now charge to run their programs from the cloud.

Anyone have any experience with purchasing a refurbished PC? Where did you purchase it from?

If that is not a viable option can you suggest alternatives to Acrobat and Photoshop?
I use the Acrobat for making and editing .pdf files.
The photoshop is used for enhancing picture an document scans.

Thank you in advance.

Date: 02/27/18 11:13
Re: Question about refurbished desktop PC
Author: MrGrumpy

I can't speak for Acrobat X Pro, but I installed my old Elements 9.0 on my daughters laptop and it works fine with Windows 10. For what it's worth, I was totally against the whole software rental thing myself for the longest time, but then I started looking at how much money I spend on other things in my life and it didn't seem like such a big issue any more. I think I pay something like C$11 a month for Lightroom and Photoshop, which is just slightly more expensive than running down to McDonalds for a Big Mac meal when I'm to lazy to cook.

Dwayne

Date: 02/27/18 12:23
Author: jst3751

NewEgg.com is a fairly reliable source for refurbished computers. If you get a Dell Optiplex series you will be getting one without all kinds of mumbo jumbo software on it.

Date: 02/27/18 12:34
Author: SP4360

I have bought a few refurbs running windows 7 from that auction site and all of them have had no problems whatsoever. Shop around, there are some great deals from computer shops. And yes, go with Dell Optiplex.

Date: 02/27/18 14:17
Author: fwwr5007

I've had great luck with a refurbished Asus desktop from MicroCenter (http://www.microcenter.com/) that I use for photo work and some gaming. Pretty sure they do mail-order if there isn't a location near you.

Date: 02/27/18 15:10
Author: colehour

I have not used it with the programs you mentioned, but Windows 10, like 8 (and probably 7) offers the possibility of resolving compatibility issues. It's been a long time since I tried using this, but the procedure is to find the program file (.exe) and right click on it. A drop down menu will appear and you can choose "Troubleshoot compatibility" from the menu.

Of course, you don't have a Windows 10 machine to try this, but perhaps someone would allow you to install it on their Windows 10 PC. This does not always work, as I found out with some older editions of DeLorme's map software. The compatibility issue also affects Apple products -- my old iPad 2 cannot be updated to the latest software, and some programs won't run on the latest OS, so I can't use them on the iPad mini. Fortunately the old iPad soldiers on, if more slowly than when it was in its youth.

Date: 02/28/18 12:28
Author: exopr

You might find one here:

https://www.dellrefurbished.com/desktop-computers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/18 12:28 by exopr.

Date: 02/28/18 12:56
Author: colehour

exopr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You might find one here:
>
> https://www.dellrefurbished.com/desktop-computers

I should have thought of that, since I purchased a refurbished laptop from them in 2006, and it's still working, albeit with an occasionally noisy fan. I don't use it much, and have installed a version of Linux on it.

I was impressed with Dell a few years ago when I received notice that there was a recall on the power supply of my Dell desktop. A technician came to the house and changed it out. Great customer service!

Date: 02/28/18 20:01
Author: jbwest

Awhile back I purchased a bunch of used Dell machines that ran XP, mainly using various vendors that Amazon fronted for. All the machines worked, but there was a lot of variation in installed software. It was quite an adventure figuring out each machine's idiosyncrasies. It was not like taking a new machine out of the box, plugging it in, and following some prompts.

JBWX

Date: 03/01/18 05:51
Author: GN_X838

I had a laptop that got full of virues. I put android in it
and it ran for anouther 4 years before the battery went
south. so I retired it........Swede...........Albany,OR........

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0831 seconds