Home Open Account Help 352 users online

Railfan Technology > Baofeng question

Date: 04/25/18 08:10
Baofeng question
Author: CPRR

Someone gave me a Baofeng 5r (?) radio. I can not figure out how to program even one channel. It claims to operate up to 174.000 MHz, I enter 160.545 , and it says cancel.

Any ideas, throw it out?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/25/18 08:13
Re: Baofeng question

Did a search, may have found the answer. Thanks anyway

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/25/18 18:27
Author: tinytrains

I hear the programming SW is the easiest way.

Scott Schifer
Torrance, CA
TinyTrains Website

Date: 04/25/18 21:14
Author: wa4umr

I bought one a few years ago and it came with a 16 page manual, if you count the front and rear cover. It told you what everything did but din't tell you how to use them to accomplish what you wanted. I eventually figured it out. I bought the software from RT-Systems.

https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/baofeng-handheld-radio-programming-software-s/2224.htm

It takes awhile to type in all the AAR channels but it's a lot easier than programming them on the radio. I put the 94 AAR channels in mine so that memory 12 is AAR 12, memory 84 is AAR 84, etc...

The radio has a decent receiver. The speaker is too small to produce good audio. You can transmit on railroad frequencies so be careful not to push the PTT or allow something to lay against it and push it accidentially.

John

Date: 04/25/18 22:42
Author: SN711

I figured out the keypad programming by doing a search on the internet. I only put in a few local channels.

Gary

Date: 04/26/18 02:57
Author: kgmontreal

Programming it by computer is the only way. Despite looking at YouTube videos that claimed to show how to do it with the keyboard I could never do it.

KG

Date: 04/27/18 08:22
Author: kk5ol

wa4umr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I bought the software from RT-Systems.

Free software available here:

https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

de KK5OL

Date: 04/27/18 13:00
Author: BN6339

I highly recommend CHIRP. I have used it on all of my radios and scanners for years with no issues.

Date: 04/27/18 14:09

BN6339 Wrote:
> I highly recommend CHIRP. I have used it on all
> of my radios and scanners for years with no
> issues.

"NOTE: The frequncy of the UV-5RTP radio has been set as 140-150/430-440MHz when it manufactured. In order to use the 136-174/400-520MHz, you need to do the factory reset. Press the Menu button, type '40', and then the radio will be reset. Then, please use the the Baofeng official software (Not CHIRP) for programming. It has the page under "other" simply checking the box that says "allow more than 480mhz transmit", and changing the frequency range from 400-520mhz, then click write to radio. "

Comments?

Date: 04/27/18 14:17
Author: BN6339

CPRR Wrote:
> "NOTE: The frequncy of the UV-5RTP radio has been
> set as 140-150/430-440MHz when it manufactured. In
> order to use the 136-174/400-520MHz, you need to
> do the factory reset. Press the Menu button, type
> '40', and then the radio will be reset. Then,
> please use the the Baofeng official software (Not
> CHIRP) for programming. It has the page under
> "other" simply checking the box that says "allow
> more than 480mhz transmit", and changing the
> frequency range from 400-520mhz, then click write
> to radio. "
>
> Comments?

Interesting. I used CHIRP on my Baofeng with no issues. I have used it on all my ham radios as well as the scanners I have. I dont recall the model of Baofeng I have, maybe that is the catch. It is a couple years old.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0501 seconds