Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Railfan Technology > Cell phone ATCS

Date: 05/06/18 08:38
Cell phone ATCS
Author: OregonOldGuy

Can ATCS be installed on I phones??? Mine is an i6 but I have access to an i8. Where can I get more info??

Thank you,

Rob

Date: 05/06/18 11:24
Re: Cell phone ATCS
Author: RFandPFan

No, it's a Windows based program.

Date: 05/06/18 11:27
Author: erielackawanna

You can't put it on a phone, but if you a Windows computer you can leave on, you could put a remote viewer program on the computer and phone to allow you to see the screen of your Windows machine.

Actually setting this all up and getting the ATCS screens you want/need is well beyond my pay grade.

Date: 05/08/18 12:20
Author: RyanWilkerson

Yes, this can be done with the Teamviewer app running on your windows PC and your cell phone. You can test out that part at home, just load those apps on both devices and get connected.
Once you can see (and control) your PC from your iPhone, then you can work on getting ATCS installed.

What railroad and area are you wanting to monitor with ATCS?

Ryan Wilkerson
Fair Oaks, CA

Date: 05/08/18 12:58
Author: jst3751

RyanWilkerson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, this can be done

No, it is not possible.

> with the Teamviewer app
> running on your windows PC and your cell phone.

That is remotely viewing a separate computer. The application is solely running on the remote computer. You are merely viewing it and passing keyboard commands to it.

Date: 05/08/18 13:05

My comment was in response to EL's. You split my comment.
"Yes, this can be done with the Teamviewer app running on your windows PC and your cell phone."

I was saying it's possible to use Teamviewer. I'm an ATCS server host so I chime in on these questions often :-)
I think we're all on the same page here.

Of course, if Trainmon5 is developed for the area to monitor, we could have ATCS-like capability on phones and other devices https://www.trainmon5.com/

jst3751 Wrote:
> RyanWilkerson Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Yes, this can be done
>
> No, it is not possible.
>
> > with the Teamviewer app
> > running on your windows PC and your cell phone.

Ryan Wilkerson
Fair Oaks, CA

Date: 05/08/18 14:18
Author: jst3751

RyanWilkerson Wrote:
> I think we're all on the same page here.

Yes we are. The problem is when you are talking about technology, never mislead someone by over simplying, and never assume they will understand what you meant.

The way you worded your post, some one can easily say "But Ryan said ATCS will work on my phone" and completely disregard what ever you said after that.

Date: 05/09/18 18:03
Author: photobob

Ryan even if you were right you are wrong.

Date: 05/09/18 19:32

jst3751 Wrote:
> RyanWilkerson Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I think we're all on the same page here.
>
> Yes we are. The problem is when you are talking
> about technology, never mislead someone by over
> simplying, and never assume they will understand
> what you meant.
>
> The way you worded your post, some one can easily
> say "But Ryan said ATCS will work on my phone" and
> completely disregard what ever you said after
> that.

And I really need a lot of hand holding for this (or any) electronic happenings!!

Will ATCS load on an I Pad?

Thank you to all who have spoken up so far!

Rob

Date: 05/09/18 19:33

RyanWilkerson Wrote:

> What railroad and area are you wanting to monitor
> with ATCS?

Mainly UP's Brooklyn Sub and for late May, Denver west to Bond.

Rob

Date: 05/10/18 01:02

Hi Rob,
ATCS Monitor only runs on the Windows operating system (full version). It will not run on any version of iOS, nor Android, nor linux, etc.
Have you requested and joined the ATCS Monitor yahoo group? That's the first step.

I'm not familiar with the UP Brooklyn server coverage but I can find the link to the kit you'll need after being approved to join the group. PM me and I can help you with some of the details.

OregonOldGuy Wrote:
> And I really need a lot of hand holding for this
> (or any) electronic happenings!!
>
> Will ATCS load on an I Pad?
>
> Thank you to all who have spoken up so far!
>
> Rob

Ryan Wilkerson
Fair Oaks, CA

Date: 05/10/18 21:37
Author: cchan006

OregonOldGuy Wrote:
> And I really need a lot of hand holding for this
> (or any) electronic happenings!!
>
> Will ATCS load on an I Pad?
>
> Thank you to all who have spoken up so far!
>
> Rob

ATCS is definitely a nice tool to have, but I still railfan without it, especially if I'm out there by myself. Even If I don't have a Smartphone (or iPad), it's possible to bring a Windows laptop, find an Internet connection, connect to an ATCS server covering the territory in question, and use ATCS natively. In fact, the bigger screen space of your laptop might be way more effective than using ATCS via a remote connection on the Smartphone's tiny screen.

I joined the ATCS group,and installed it on my Windows machine 10 years ago. Back then, there weren't too many layouts available, but there was one for SoCal, so I studied it carefully to see if the tool will be useful for me.

Conclusion? I have not relied on ATCS the past 10 years. I have joined railfans who do use that on the road (but not on a Smartphone). In fact, Ryan_Wilkerson assisted a friend of mine at Auburn, CA, where we were trying to figure out which way Dispatcher 74 would line a UP Special, Track 1 or Track 2. At Auburn, the tracks are separate and not visible from each other, so you have to guess correctly or miss the train. My friend called Ryan on the phone, and he responded (verbally) with what he saw on the ATCS screen - friends are better than Smartphones. :-)

I've missed a train at Auburn before, but I used my ears (listening to the distant horn to determine which track a train was on), and chased it to my next intercept point and got the train anyway. So don't expect ATCS to be the magical tool to dramatically improve your railfan experience, but rather, a supplemental tool to enhance what you already know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/18 21:38 by cchan006.

Date: 05/11/18 09:35
Author: RFandPFan

cchan006 Wrote:
So don't expect ATCS to be the magical
> tool to dramatically improve your railfan
> experience, but rather, a supplemental tool to
> enhance what you already know.

I got into ATCS years before there were internet sites for monitoring. I enjoyed using a field rig to monitor train movements. It was particularly useful in the Hyattsville, MD area (before CSX switched to satellite). It was helpful in knowing which train was routed in which direction on the wye track going to the Alexandria Branch so I knew where to set up to catch the next train and not miss it.

There was a time when a person could monitor rail traffic from Richmond, VA all the way to Florida with only a few dead spaces.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0602 seconds