Home Open Account Help 385 users online

Railfan Technology > 2018 was a milestone year in railfan technology

Date: 12/31/18 13:21
2018 was a milestone year in railfan technology
Author: march_hare

So what was the milestone?

Years from now, I will remember 2018 as the first year in which I saw so many drones in the air chasing trains that the drones had to form a photo line. 

At at three different special events this year, I saw three drones aloft at the same time. Then, last month,  I chased the NS Toys for Tots train northward on the D&H and saw four. People who stayed with the train until dark saw another, so the current record in my neck of the woods is 5.

At Harpursville, and again at Cobleskill, the pilots behaved like decent people and spontaneously arranged themselves so that nobody had a drone in their photo—not even the other drones. How long will this period of considerate behavior last?  

And BTW, the newest generation drones appear to be much quieter, so people shooting video should rejoice. 

Date: 01/08/19 10:09
Re: 2018 was a milestone year in railfan technology
Author: mopac1978

UP 4014's return will probably result in drones as thick as dragonflies in Minnesota in the summer....

Date: 01/08/19 18:51
Author: mojaveflyer

I would predict midair collisions between drones on the trip west for UP 4014...

mopac1978 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> UP 4014's return will probably result in drones as
> thick as dragonflies in Minnesota in the
> summer....

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 02/11/19 22:03
Author: MojaveBill

I was at the Loop in the '80s when 4449 was on its way to New Orleans and three small aircraft almost collided.
The California Highway Patrol had a railfan traffic officer (RTO?) on the train to try to cooridinate the chasers...

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 02/25/19 07:40
Author: SD45X

I need a mini-gun for my drone:)

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0887 seconds