Home Open Account Help 352 users online

Railfan Technology > My new Bearcat BCT75XLT scanner

Date: 04/04/19 14:24
My new Bearcat BCT75XLT scanner
Author: Floridarailfan

I bit the bullet and replaced my old BC200 XLT with a BCT75XLT, outfitted with a Diamond RH77CA antenna.  What a pleasant surprise when I discovered that the fine folks at Uniden had already programmed all the railroad frequencies into the scanner! We are headed down to Plant City, Florida tomorrow and I was anticipating a late night of frequency programming tonight!

Do any of you veterans have any tips for getting to know my new equipment?

Many thanks.

Peter

Date: 04/05/19 08:48
Re: My new Bearcat BCT75XLT scanner
Author: goneon66

"pre programmed" railroad frequencies installed in this scanner?  i may have to get this.

keep us informed on how u like this scanner..........

Date: 04/05/19 13:21
Author: WW

goneon66 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "pre programmed" railroad frequencies installed in
> this scanner?  i may have to get this.
>
> keep us informed on how u like this
> scanner..........
>
> 66

Old news.  The Uniden BC-125AT also has the RR frequencies pre-programmed into it and is a much better radio than the BC-75XLT.  If you're going to get an analog scanner, the BC-125AT is a far better choice.

Date: 04/05/19 17:55
Author: goneon66

thanks ww.  what type of antenna would you suggest to use with the bc125at?  

i need a new scanner so i am gonna get this one........

thanks for any info,

Date: 04/05/19 19:39
Author: WW

See my earlier post on another thread for details--I like the Laird EXH-160 or Smiley Slim Duck tuned to the 160 mHz band.

Date: 04/07/19 13:57
Author: Floridarailfan

First the bad news:  We didn’t actually get to see a train from the Plant City viewing platform.  We were coming home from a visit to St. Petersburg and had to limit our stop in Plant City to about 30 minutes.

The good news:  The BCT75XLT with the Diamond RH77CA antenna worked like a charm.  We listened to the crew on a nearby train loud and clear with none of the volume issues that I had with my old scanner. Because the Diamond antenna is 15 inches long, it is a bit unwieldy, so I may. consider adding a Slim Duck to my collection at some point, but the RH77 works quite well, and for an entry level scanner, the BCT75XLT impressed me.

Date: 04/21/19 19:15
Author: DMC

After a long time using handheld scanners I'd say your on the right track.

The Diamond is OK when the radio is not moving.

For on the move and trackside I would go with a Smiley SLim Duck cut for 160mhz.

I used it for marine and railroad, but it does a decent job on my local fire, police and meducal.

DMC

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.051 seconds