Home Open Account Help 288 users online

Railfan Technology > Scan disk capacity and speed

Date: 05/13/19 18:09
Scan disk capacity and speed
Author: OregonOldGuy

OK, I have done a search and found nothing.

I know how disks are listed for capacity, but I have heard they have different srecording speeds and so I am wondering how one knows what is fast and what is slow,

Comments????

Rob

Date: 05/13/19 23:42
Re: Scan disk capacity and speed
Author: clem

They do have different speeds, but it's not a single number. Rotational speed is the most commonly quoted. 5400 RPM is slow-ish: these disks is made for high capacity, or on the cheap. 7200 RPM is the "performance" model, at least for ordinary people. 10,000 RPM is the fastest, for use mostly in "enterprise" machines, and may cost significantly more.

This doesn't cover Solid State Drives (SSDs). They are generally more expensive than hard disks, but are somewhere between faster and "a lot faster," depending on the workload. I think over half of all notebook computers sold now have SSDs rather than hard drives.

Date: 05/14/19 04:10
Author: wa4umr

im having trouble posting links for some reason, but search "the numbers on your memory card."  Look for the article from B and H Photo and Video.  

John

Date: 05/14/19 11:03
Author: jst3751

OregonOldGuy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OK, I have done a search and found nothing.
>
> I know how disks are listed for capacity, but I
> have heard they have different srecording speeds
> and so I am wondering how one knows what is fast
> and what is slow,
>
> Comments????
>
> Rob

Rob are you referring to the really small little flat disks that go into cameras and such or are you talking about 2.5" wide "hard drives" or are you talking about USB "sticks"?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0284 seconds