Home Open Account Help 260 users online

Railfan Technology > file conversion

Date: 07/02/19 14:18
file conversion
Author: MEKoch

I have taken pics with my cellphone.  The pic is fine, but a very small file size.  Is there a way to enlarge the file to 1 MB?  

Date: 07/02/19 14:32
Re: file conversion
Author: trainjunkie

You cannot increase the size of a bitmap file (image) and maintain the original quality. Check the camera settings on the phone to make sure it is capturing the highest resolution possible. It's easy to downsample a bitmap, but upsampling is always a compromise, even with the best interpolation algorithms. 

Date: 07/04/19 21:45
Author: up833

What kind of phone gives bitmaps with no option to do jpegs? Usually producing files to large is the problem.
RB

Date: 07/05/19 03:15

A JPEG is a bitmap.

Date: 07/05/19 11:28
Author: newtonville150

trainjunkie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A JPEG is a bitmap.

Using a lossy compression algorithm, which may or may not be a problem, depending on what you want to do with the image.

Date: 07/05/19 11:47
Author: robj

I think we are dancing around the problem.  How are you determining the file size. Where/ how are you viewing your image. Also, as mentioned, look at camera settings. I have a pretty basic android phone and the images are pretty large where I will edit them down to 1024 x  before I text them, I think they are 5x that.

Bob

Date: 07/05/19 12:56

newtonville150 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Using a lossy compression algorithm, which may or
> may not be a problem, depending on what you want
> to do with the image.

Not relevant. You are over complicating a simple question. You cannot add pixels to a bitmap to successfully "interpolate" the image to be larger. It's not like a vector file that is infinitely scaleable, up or down. File compression isn't particularly relevant because it doesn't change the base number of pixels in a bitmap image. Lossy compression discards other data, but not pixels.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.034 seconds