Home Open Account Help 374 users online

Railfan Technology > Bearcat 125AT problem

Date: 08/28/20 11:43
Bearcat 125AT problem
Author: BobB

I recently purchased a Bearcat 125AT and find it quite useful for the reasons discussed a few threads below.  I have, however, discovered a problem with my specific unit and wonder if anyone has any ideas.  When I try to get to a menu through the function key (func + hold for Close Call--which I want to turn off--or func + 3 for weather) I simply get a blank screen, not a menu, and I am unable to proceed further.  Occasionally it appears that a menu is trying to get through--a little flash for an instant--but nothing stays around.  The person I talked to at Uniden had no ideas except to send the unit in for warranty service. Has anyone here experienced something similar?  Does anyone here have any suggestions that might work?  Thanks in advance.

Date: 08/30/20 13:36
Re: Bearcat 125AT problem
Author: robj

I have an Sr30C similar I guess, I t seems you press function alone first then press the hold button keeping it down for several sconds, I get the menu then you see 1-4 you press each number and if it  disappears that will not be searched, I guess. or when in menu keep pressing func plus hold I guess.

Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/20 13:39 by robj.

Date: 08/31/20 10:41

I tried this after getting your message, but unfortunately I'm still stuck at a blank screen.

robj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have an Sr30C similar I guess, I t seems you
> press function alone first then press the hold
> button keeping it down for several sconds, I get
> the menu then you see 1-4 you press each number
> and if it  disappears that will not be searched,
> I guess. or when in menu keep pressing func plus
> hold I guess.
>

Date: 08/31/20 17:03
Author: TCnR

When I looked up the manual on the www there was also some info about unlisted fundtions and somewhere info about doing a reset. I can't dig through the info right now but that might be something to try.

Date: 09/01/20 07:27
Author: WW

To reset a BC-125AT, with the scanner off, press and hold the 2, 9, and Hold keys simultaneously, then turn on the scanner.  Understand that this wipes the scanner's memory clean--it will have to be completely reprogrammed.  As to whether this will fix the OP's problem, I'm somewhat skeptical.  It sounds more like an internal failure in the scanner.  So far, my BC-125AT has behaved very well, but three other Uniden scanners that I owned over the years all died at fairly young ages from internal failures.

Also, as I have posted before, for the BC-125AT, buying the optional leather case for the radio is a very good idea.  The factory case of the BC-125AT is not very stout--it could easily crack if the radio was dropped onto a hard surface.  Also, the leather case helps soften the shock on the radio innards if the radio is dropped onto a hard surface.  Few scanners are built to the physical toughness standards that most commercial and many amateur portable radios are built to.

Date: 09/01/20 11:45

I tried the reset (reprogramming is easy with the software Uniden supplies, once you've entered and saved the frequencies).  Unfortunately, now all I get in any situation is a blank screen.  I had already ordered a replacement that will arrive on Thursday; I hope that I won't have any trouble getting a refund for this one.  Thanks for the suggestions, but it's clearly a defective scanner that wasn't fixable.

Date: 09/01/20 14:54
Author: TCnR

Yep, agree. Good luck.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0326 seconds