Home Open Account Help 381 users online

Railfan Technology > I'm puzzled Todd?????

Date: 02/16/21 20:26
I'm puzzled Todd?????
Author: koloradokid

OK, I shoot Canon T-3i downloading with the Canon program.  I adjust the jpeg images on the program and save.  But when I download to TO, none of th e changes crossover with the image.  Am I doing something wrong?

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/21 11:22 by koloradokid.

Date: 02/17/21 07:07
Re: I'm puzzled
Author: robj

After I edit I always "save as".  If going to trainorder I will prefix as TO, to FB etc as I save them differently.  When I upload then I look for the TO items prefix
At any rate saving over original is never a good idea.

A good idea is also to use the subject line of a post to provide information to forum readers.

As to your specific question I can only guess the save is beng made to another folder or the edit rogram is giving it another name so not to override original.

Bob

Date: 02/17/21 11:10
Author: koloradokid

robj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> After I edit I always "save as".  If going to
> trainorder I will prefix as TO, to FB etc as I
> save them differently.  When I upload then I look
> for the TO items prefix
> At any rate saving over original is never a good
> idea.
>
> A good idea is also to use the subject line of a
> post to provide information to forum readers.
>
> As to your specific question I can only guess the
> save is beng made to another folder or the edit
> rogram is giving it another name so not to
> override original.
>
> Bob

Let me try that.  I'll report later.  OK, tried it and change.  Maybe Todd will chime in.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/21 11:22 by koloradokid.

Date: 02/17/21 11:51
Author: BRAtkinson

Seemingly eons ago, shortly after buying my first DSLR...a used Canon 30D, I plugged it into the USB port on my at-the-time 'fast' computer (I build my own) and it took seemingly forever to download the images and bring them up in the Canon-supplied editor program.  I decided that was too slow so I saw that Windows XP 'saw' it as another drive, and simply copied the appropriate files from that 'drive' to my hard drive into a folder that was easily found. 

That was STILL too slow, in my opinion, so I ultimately purchased a CF card reader and installed it in my computer.  From then on, I always remove the memory card from the camera and insert it into the SD or CF slot on the computer.  That is, until I bent the pins in the SD slot (by now I had a 5Diii and a Win 7 computer).  I replaced the unit and a couple months, bent the pins again.  At $30 a pop, give or take, and the aggrevation of replacing another unit on my computer just to get a new CF reader, I decided to get a separate USB device with a foot-long cord that can handle CF, SD, and micro-SD cards for under $15 as I recall.  Figuring I'd have a bent pin problem in the future, I bought two, both from Amazon.  After a couple years without any problems, I gave the other one to a friend.  The unit I have is USB 3.0 compatible (blue plastic inside USB connector) that is roughly 10x faster than the 'old' USB 2 devices.  The multi-slot unit I built in my current computer can handle all memory card sizes and has 2 USB 3.0 slots + 3 USB 2.0 slots in it.  To achieve USB 3 transfer speeds, both the computer and the device must be USB 3.0 compatible.  If either is USB 2.0, it runs at USB 2.0 speed.

Perhaps one of the more confusing Windows features is that 'save as' in most applications will output the file to wherever it 'wants to'...usually in My Documents or in some obscure well-hidden file not easily accessible such as C:\Users\<your ID>\Apdata\<any of a bunch of folders>, etc.  I've learned the hard way too many times that programs like to hide where they save files, especially when right-clicking an online image and doing save as.  Lesson:  Always check ahead of time what folder your save as will be sent to.  If needed, use the arrow up button to navigate to the desired folder, typically in My Documents - aka: C:\Users\<your ID>\Documents.

Also, a little 'gotchya' compliments of Adobe Lightroom that is always my first stop when editing photos...During 'import', even after navigating to the desired folder where I copied the images into on my C: drive, it will STILL suck in the images from the CF or SD card as well, if I haven't already removed them (and the USB thing)! 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/21 11:53 by BRAtkinson.

Date: 02/18/21 15:17
Author: robj

Previous post was good.  I download manually, drag and drop from camera card to computer directory. Camera plugged into computer.   the more you do manually the more control and the less compute mystery.

Generally when you do save as the should be a dialog box telling you where and you can browze for new location if you wish.

Bob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0486 seconds